• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Refund for $500 Reception Site Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yluong123

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX
My situation is as follows:
1) My fiancee wrote a check to place a deposit of $500 to reserve the date for our wedding reception at the Thanh Thanh Restaurant in Arlington.
2) The restaurant gave us a receipt. The receipt did not state that the deposit was nonrefundable. It does state the wedding reception date that should be reserved.
3) We did not receive anything in writing for the terms concerning the refundability of the deposit or cancellations.
4) We called on Wed, Mar 10 the restaurant to cancel our reservation since several of my friends and relatives told me that the restaurant's food and service had declined in quality from the previous years.
5) We did not ask for our deposit back. We asked to have the deposit be applied to a 2 table dinner party instead. They refused to give us this, and refused to return our deposit.

So, what recourse do I have?
Do the check and receipt act as a written contract, even though the terms were not clearly written and signed by the parties?

Besides wanting my money back, I would like to be able to change the way this restaurant does business when it comes to taking customers deposits for receptions.
I would like for them to provide their terms and policies for refund and cancellation in writing, and have the agreement signed by both parties.
$500 is a lot of money, and I would like to prevent this from happing to the next person.

I appreciate any advice and action anyone can provide to me, and I would like to thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">