• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neglegent lawyer.. What course can I take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

singedwhiskers

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hired a lawyer for a real estate transaction.. Much occurred during this transaction but I will make the story short..

In the beginning of the transaction we had a letter of intent to purchase signed and gave a deposit of $500 good faith money ot the seller.. We were planning on a sales agreement with the seller.. The seller did not present an acceptable agreement within the time frame.. The sellers lawyer emails our lawyer a letter stating that we needed to respond with our intentions of buying or canceling the transaction by 112202.. We met with our lawyer on 112002 and decided to cancel the transaction and he was to respond appropriately to the seller's letter by the set date 112202 stating our decision and the return of the $500..

We made several phone calls and faxes to our lawyer stating we would like a copy of the response letter he had sent.. We heard nothing.. Finally on 011703 after much prodding, we get an email from the lawyer stating , "I am not avoiding you, I have a heavy case load and will get the letter written".. We called his office immediately and stated our concern that he had not written the response letter and that he may have forfeited our $500 deposit by not responding in a timely manner.. 30 minutes later we were emailed a copy of the response letter that was supposedly sent to the seller's lawyer that day - 011703..

It took our lawyer 2 months to respond.. I don't even know if in fact he sent the letter and it is now 031103 with still no response.. We are out lawyer fees ($$$$$$$$) and the $500 deposit because of our lawyers neglect..

What are my options?? Can I go to the district justice to possibly get my $500 back?? What agencies can I go to report the neglegent conduct of this lawyer?? Is his actions, or lack of, considered neglegent??

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Sorry this was long.. Thank you..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">