• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New car, major repair cost, no one accepts responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Doralee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I have a 2013 fully warranted, Subaru. First two yrs I rec'd free oil changes from dealer and have since ONLY taken to Meineke (past 4 services). A week ago I notice what I thought was an oil spot on driveway. Took to meineke today for oil change and to check this leak. I was told they noticed a leak in transmission fluid, not oil. They tightened the plug. They admitted they noticed a hairline crack, so when they tightened it "spidered" and cracked. I was told to take it to the Dealership with warranty. The dealership looked at the broken plug. They said it is not under warranty because it is a service issue because someone tightened the plug without an O ring and it caused the plug to crack and human error isn't covered. Meineke says they aren't responsible because it was already cracked. Dealer says not responsible period. I'm left with a Dealer repair bill of $8000.00 on a 2013 vehicle that I've serviced with oil changes responsibly every 3 months and have needed no other services. Is there any way be able to cover some of this monetary loss?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I have a 2013 fully warranted, Subaru. First two yrs I rec'd free oil changes from dealer and have since ONLY taken to Meineke (past 4 services). A week ago I notice what I thought was an oil spot on driveway. Took to meineke today for oil change and to check this leak. I was told they noticed a leak in transmission fluid, not oil. They tightened the plug. They admitted they noticed a hairline crack, so when they tightened it "spidered" and cracked. I was told to take it to the Dealership with warranty. The dealership looked at the broken plug. They said it is not under warranty because it is a service issue because someone tightened the plug without an O ring and it caused the plug to crack and human error isn't covered. Meineke says they aren't responsible because it was already cracked. Dealer says not responsible period. I'm left with a Dealer repair bill of $8000.00 on a 2013 vehicle that I've serviced with oil changes responsibly every 3 months and have needed no other services. Is there any way be able to cover some of this monetary loss?
I would go after the folks that cracked the pan. I'd include Meineke in the claim too since they tightened it knowing it was cracked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">