• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nextel lost my deposit...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dilly1979

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In November of 2002, I signed a one year contract with Nextel. I paid a $200 deposit when I signed up for service. For several months I have been trying to get my $200 from Nextel. Nextel says they do not have any record of me having needed a $200 deposit. I have my reciept, contract and a copy of the check made out to Nextel for $200, I have faxed them these documents several times. This last time they said they could not do anything unless I faxed them a copy of the cashed check from my bank. I closed my account with that bank about 6 months after signing up for service. The bank told me that unless I knew with in 30 days of when I cancelled my bank account they could not give a copy of the cashed check.

Since this issue was not resolved, I cancelled my account recently about 30 days ago. Nextel has since charged me an early termination fee. I have nothing in writting that my contract was extended beyond the 1 year which was up in November of 2003. They are claiming I changed my service and extended my contract by 2 years, I'm not seeing anything in my original contract stating anything about contract extension nor do I recall them stating it on the phone when I changed my plan initially.

Does Nextel even need a copy of the cashed check, isn't a receipt for the deposit from an authorized Nextel dealer enough?

dahvaio

You need to get the cashed check from your Bank. I can write all the checks I want but until they are cashed by the receipient they are worth nothing. If you have the receipt, it should have a date... ask the bank for all cashed checks from one month before and after the receipt date. I'm pretty sure the bank has a record of the transaction.

Even though you paid by check it does not mean that NexTel withdrew the money from your account. The only way to prove that NexTel took the deposit is to have the bank verify the cashed check.

dahvaio said:
You need to get the cashed check from your Bank. I can write all the checks I want but until they are cashed by the receipient they are worth nothing. If you have the receipt, it should have a date... ask the bank for all cashed checks from one month before and after the receipt date. I'm pretty sure the bank has a record of the transaction.

Even though you paid by check it does not mean that NexTel withdrew the money from your account. The only way to prove that NexTel took the deposit is to have the bank verify the cashed check.
dilly1979 said:
This last time they said they could not do anything unless I faxed them a copy of the cashed check from my bank. I closed my account with that bank about 6 months after signing up for service. The bank told me that unless I knew with in 30 days of when I cancelled my bank account they could not give a copy of the cashed check.
Is it possible that you may have your old bank statements and check??? You can compare the date in which they cashed your check. On the bank statement it should tell you which check number you used and for xx.xx amount.

I would have thought the receipt from Nextel would've been enough.

dilly1979

Is it possible that you may have your old bank statements and check??? You can compare the date in which they cashed your check. On the bank statement it should tell you which check number you used and for xx.xx amount.
I went through all my old statements from that bank, the month that the check would have been cashed in appears to be the one monthly statement I can't find. I have a copy of the check. The bank told me they couldn't give me a copy of the check since I don't have my account with them anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">