• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[NJ] Dealer not doing car registration, and refusing to renew temp plates!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vanisser

What is the name of your state? NEW JERSEY

We reside in NY but bought the car in NJ.

The car was bought 3/23, with 20-day temporary plates. The plates expired 4/11, but the dealer categorically refuses to give us new temporary plates even though he still hasn't done the registration for the car (transferring plates). They hadn't done it 4/11; they promised it would be ready 4/13, but then said 4/16, although on 4/14 they changed it to 4/17. On 4/17 it wasn't ready of course, and they said for sure 4/19. I called the NY DMV today and they said they have absolutely nothing about our transferring plates in their system, so I know that today when I call the dealer they will use another lame excuse and say it's not ready but it will be next Monday.

Yesterday, the NJ DMV we put a complaint with called us back: the person handling our case called the dealer and was treated so rudely he couldn't believe it. He was so angry he opened an investigation from our case and is looking into revoking their license.
In the meantime however, he said there is nothing he can do for us!!!!!!! We don't have a garage so have to park in the street. He said we drive the car at our own risk, and it can be towed at any time and we can get fined. But we need to drive!
So, even though by law the dealer has to renew our temporary plates, it sounds like no one is willing to enforce that. I just cannot handle talking and getting angry anymore with this dealer who treats us like dirt and idiots.

We're at our wit's end!!! What can we do?? What authority can help us get new temporary plates while the dealer takes who knows how much longer to file our registration??

Thanks for any input!!

V-

Last edited:

vanisser

The vehicle is partly financed from an outside source that has nothing to do with the dealer. About half of the purchase price was put as a down-payment.

I wish I knew why they were doing this!!!!! Lazy, irresponsible, unprofessional??

moburkes

The vehicle is partly financed from an outside source that has nothing to do with the dealer. About half of the purchase price was put as a down-payment.

I wish I knew why they were doing this!!!!! Lazy, irresponsible, unprofessional??
Okay. So, it has nothing to do with the financing falling through?

Some Random Guy

Was this a new car or a used one? For a used car, I am wondering if there is a lein on the title that the dealer is having problems with. For a new car, I would call the manufacturer and see if their franchise management team can put any pressure on the dealer.

vanisser

It is a used but certified car.
No problem with the financing whatsoever.

I now put a complaint with the BBB and the Office of Consumer Affairs after the dealer just hung up on me!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">