• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Sales Tax question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

09chevy

This is a New Jersey Sales Tax Question. I recently (on Monday Aug. 24th) purchased a new car using the $4500 credit from the federal cars for clunkers program. My dealership calculated my sales tax before deducting the $4500 credit. I questioned this and they said it was the correct way to do it. However, a friend purchased a car from a different dealership and they deducted the $4500 credit, then calculated the sales tax. Which is the correct way to do it. If my dealership improperly taxed me, is this sufficient ground for me to void the contract and demand to return the new car and get my clunker back? If so, what if the dealership is no longer in possesion of my clunker? If I can not return the car, can I legally demand to get back the overpaid taxes?

justalayman

first, the clunker is gone. I don't remember how quickly it must be done but the engine is required to be destroyed quite soon after trading the car in.

as to the taxing: not positive but I believe you were taxed properly. You see, you are taxed on the selling price of the vehicle, not the net price. The CARS program money does not reduce the price of the vehicle, it merely is a payment towards the cost of the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">