• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Contract Credit Repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

havetoknow

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I agreed to let a work from home entity repair my credit on the advise of my mortgage broker, there was no formal contract signed. We agreed on $300.00 paid in installments of $60.00 for 5 months. I have had success, but have chosen to discontinue this service, with a balance of $120.00 to be paid. I contacted this person via email stating my cancellation, and was informed that I still owe the balance. Do I have a legal remedy?

divgradcurl

havetoknow said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I agreed to let a work from home entity repair my credit on the advise of my mortgage broker, there was no formal contract signed. We agreed on $300.00 paid in installments of $60.00 for 5 months. I have had success, but have chosen to discontinue this service, with a balance of $120.00 to be paid. I contacted this person via email stating my cancellation, and was informed that I still owe the balance. Do I have a legal remedy?
Legal remedy for what? You signed a contract -- unless the contract details a method to get out of the contract, you are stuck until the contract is paid up.

havetoknow

No formal contract signed

Again, there was no formal contract signed. She emailed me references, credit repair tips, and how she provides her service, that's it. I sent her 5 post dated checks totalling $300.00, and she sends me letters to mail to the credit bureaus. She does nothing else. Because there is no contract, am I still obligated to her?

divgradcurl

havetoknow said:
Again, there was no formal contract signed. She emailed me references, credit repair tips, and how she provides her service, that's it. I sent her 5 post dated checks totalling $300.00, and she sends me letters to mail to the credit bureaus. She does nothing else. Because there is no contract, am I still obligated to her?
Why do you say there is no contract? A verbal contract is often just as binding as a written contract -- usually the problem is proving that a verbal contract exists. But here, there appears to be ample proof of the contract, and even of the terms of the contract -- the post-dated checks, the delivery of the contracted-for services, etc. You don't always have to have a formal, signed contract to be bound to a contract -- a court can infer a contract from conduct, which is what I would suspect would happen here if this ever went to court.

You can try and work something out with the service provider, but if they are unwilling to work with you, you will either have to complete the terms of the contract, or breach the contract and see what happens. If you breach and the person takes you to court, you could be liable for the remaining unpaid part of the contract plus court expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">