• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No estimate and overcharged for service.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chwilli

California.

I solicited the services of a repairman to repair a juke box I own. He came out to my home, worked on it for about 20 minutes and advised me it would need additional work that could only be completed in the shop. I was not charged for the "service call." He said he would send someone in the truck to pick it up in 2 days time. The juke box was picked up by the owner of the company and taken to the shop for repair. No verbal agreement, no written estimate, nor any mention of money ever took place. 5 days later my wife received a phone call stating that it still wasn't ready and would not be returned by the agreed upon date. (We had a party and wanted it back for the party.) He advised my wife that the repair cost had already exceeded $1,000.00 and could go higher. My wife made it clear that this was more than we had ever intended on spending and asked why we weren't notified of the cost prior to beginning work. He said "your husband told me to make it right." He now has had our juke box for 2 weeks and we cannot get him to return our calls.

What exactly am I required to pay? Can he keep my juke box until I do pay? Can someone please advise me? My wife and I are torn up inside over this. The juke box was a wedding present from my family 15 years ago and is valued at $5,000.00. Thanks.

T

Tony Bells

you were required to ask for a repair estimate before doing any work on the jukebox, allowing the repairman to remove it from your house without anything in writing was wrong. you may need to take this person to small claims court to sort this out. there are laws regarding this transaction and they vary from state to state. never transact any business without written details. good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">