• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no show wedding dress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waynesborodress

MARYLAND. A couple of months ago I was looking for a wedding dress for my up and coming small wedding in October. While I was in a small wedding dress shop in PA (I live in MD) the owner approached me about making my dress~since everything else in the shop was a little too fancy for what I was looking for. I was uneasy about this at first thinking she was too far away from my home to meet with her concerning designing, picking material and doing dress fittings. i also was concerned that there was not enough time to have a dress made. She offered to meet me 1/2 way for meetings and said there was plenty of time to have the dress finished. She said the dress would be "very simple" and could be finished by the end of September or the 1st weekend in October...plenty of time for a October 17th or 24th wedding.

I drove to her shop for all meetings and dress fittings (at least 4 or 5 each at least 120 miles round trip). I originally told her the wedding was October 17th, but later updated her with the October 24th date. She told me the dress would be ready for pickup on October 17th. The week of the 17th she had to add to the hem of the dress (she had cut it too short). she asked if I could pick it up on October 21st vs the 17th. Not overly joyed by this I agreed to coming on the 22nd instead (I had a meeting on the 21st and couldn't make it there that evening). On the 22nd I called asking if it was ok if was running a little later than I had expected and she said she actually was still NOT ready and wanted me to arrive as late as possible. Her shop closed @ 5 and she asked to me to come @ 7:30. I arrived at 7:30 and she said she still had 3 hours of work to go. I offered to stay in town that evening and come later that evening OR if I HAD to and I could meet her at her shop or at her house at 7a.m. the morning of the 23rd. She said she wanted to bring the dress to me (at my house) after dropping of "payroll at 8:00 a.m. OR she could bring the dress to me the morning of the wedding (Oct.24th) at the location of the wedding". I told her I DEFINTELY wanted the dress at least the day prior so I could match a lipstick color to the dress! She agreed to the morning drop off to me. She called me late in the morning of the 23rd and changed plans again. She now was coming to me at 6:30 p.m. Even though the night before she said she definitely wanted to drop the dress of to me in the morning so she wouldn't get held up with anything else. I agreed--not pleased by any stretch of the imagination, but at least I could still match lipstick colors!

Well, 6:30 p.m. The night of the 23rd came and went. I finally looked up her home phone # on the interent and called at 7:45. She answered from her home (at least an hour away from me!). I was in total shock! She kept saying, "I know I know I am coming". I told her how I was shocked and couldn't believe she hadn't left and asked WHY she hadn't at least called to communicate she wasn't going to be here at the time she said. She again said, "I know I know". She then went on to say how, "I didn't understand how long it was taking to do everything by hand and to do it right". I informed her that I needed to think about what I was going to do and I would call her back in a few minutes. I consulted with my mom, sister and friend who were all there during the phone call.

We agreed with her wishy washy non communicative ways that there was no way I could trust in her to get the dress to me. It was already less than 18 hours from my wedding time!

I called her back and told her that i was i so disappointed and i hoped she would never do anything like this to anyone and that it was cruel! i also told her, "I did not want the dress".

My problem now is....I had bought approx. $70-90.00 worth of fabric for the dress or beads for the veil. I would like my money returned to me along with mileage for all of the meetings/dress fittings I had. I would like to know if this reasonable and fair and what rate I can charge her for the mileage. Is there anything else I am entitled to from her?

There was never a written contract between us. I never gave a deposit for the dress other than the money I put into the materials that she has and used to put into the dress.

The dress was never finished as of 8/8:30 p.m. The night before my wedding. The dress was never delivered and at this writing I have never heard from her.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

MARYLAND. A couple of months ago I was looking for a wedding dress for my up and coming small wedding in October. While I was in a small wedding dress shop in PA (I live in MD) the owner approached me about making my dress~since everything else in the shop was a little too fancy for what I was looking for. I was uneasy about this at first thinking she was too far away from my home to meet with her concerning designing, picking material and doing dress fittings. i also was concerned that there was not enough time to have a dress made. She offered to meet me 1/2 way for meetings and said there was plenty of time to have the dress finished. She said the dress would be "very simple" and could be finished by the end of September or the 1st weekend in October...plenty of time for a October 17th or 24th wedding.

I drove to her shop for all meetings and dress fittings (at least 4 or 5 each at least 120 miles round trip). I originally told her the wedding was October 17th, but later updated her with the October 24th date. She told me the dress would be ready for pickup on October 17th. The week of the 17th she had to add to the hem of the dress (she had cut it too short). she asked if I could pick it up on October 21st vs the 17th. Not overly joyed by this I agreed to coming on the 22nd instead (I had a meeting on the 21st and couldn't make it there that evening). On the 22nd I called asking if it was ok if was running a little later than I had expected and she said she actually was still NOT ready and wanted me to arrive as late as possible. Her shop closed @ 5 and she asked to me to come @ 7:30. I arrived at 7:30 and she said she still had 3 hours of work to go. I offered to stay in town that evening and come later that evening OR if I HAD to and I could meet her at her shop or at her house at 7a.m. the morning of the 23rd. She said she wanted to bring the dress to me (at my house) after dropping of "payroll at 8:00 a.m. OR she could bring the dress to me the morning of the wedding (Oct.24th) at the location of the wedding". I told her I DEFINTELY wanted the dress at least the day prior so I could match a lipstick color to the dress! She agreed to the morning drop off to me. She called me late in the morning of the 23rd and changed plans again. She now was coming to me at 6:30 p.m. Even though the night before she said she definitely wanted to drop the dress of to me in the morning so she wouldn't get held up with anything else. I agreed--not pleased by any stretch of the imagination, but at least I could still match lipstick colors!

Well, 6:30 p.m. The night of the 23rd came and went. I finally looked up her home phone # on the interent and called at 7:45. She answered from her home (at least an hour away from me!). I was in total shock! She kept saying, "I know I know I am coming". I told her how I was shocked and couldn't believe she hadn't left and asked WHY she hadn't at least called to communicate she wasn't going to be here at the time she said. She again said, "I know I know". She then went on to say how, "I didn't understand how long it was taking to do everything by hand and to do it right". I informed her that I needed to think about what I was going to do and I would call her back in a few minutes. I consulted with my mom, sister and friend who were all there during the phone call.

We agreed with her wishy washy non communicative ways that there was no way I could trust in her to get the dress to me. It was already less than 18 hours from my wedding time!

I called her back and told her that i was i so disappointed and i hoped she would never do anything like this to anyone and that it was cruel! i also told her, "I did not want the dress".

My problem now is....I had bought approx. $70-90.00 worth of fabric for the dress or beads for the veil. I would like my money returned to me along with mileage for all of the meetings/dress fittings I had. I would like to know if this reasonable and fair and what rate I can charge her for the mileage. Is there anything else I am entitled to from her?

There was never a written contract between us. I never gave a deposit for the dress other than the money I put into the materials that she has and used to put into the dress.

The dress was never finished as of 8/8:30 p.m. The night before my wedding. The dress was never delivered and at this writing I have never heard from her.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am sorry about your experience with your dress. You can sue her in small claims court. That's about as good as it is going to get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">