• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nokia Manufacturers Warranty, Need Help Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hkkaplan

Hi,

I have Nokia phone which has a broken screen however was working perfectly fine untill one day when I got a prompt that System Update was available. After installation of the firmware update my phone wont turn on and it will display a message that Firmware update has failed.

Phone is still under warranty.

However Nokia is telling me that the phone is not under warranty anymore because the phone has cracked screen.

I read their Warrant policy and it does not mention anywhere that the warranty will be voided or is not valid if there is a physical damage, how ever it does say "warranty will not cover defects caused by misuse" which I believe does not apply to me because I am not asking them to repair the cracked screen plus it does not say the warranty will be voided it just says it wont cover.

Can you please help me, am i right or wrong because the warrant policy does not mention about warranty being voided?

This is the link to their policy

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/apac/phones/guides/Nokia_MLW_AU_from_31Mar11.pdf

Thanks So much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The screen is cracked and the screen doesn't work. Seems a pretty clear reason for the mfg to not cover the repairs.

Zigner

You're slipping.
Yes, the correct response was: Sorry, US Law Only!

Notice the warranty pointed to is titled "MANUFACTURER'S LIMITED WARRANTY (AUSTRALIA)"
No, I did not notice that, as it's pretty clear to me why Nokia won't repair it. I acknowledge that I didn't even look at the link.

Mass_Shyster

Yes, the correct response was: Sorry, US Law Only!

No, I did not notice that, as it's pretty clear to me why Nokia won't repair it. I acknowledge that I didn't even look at the link.
I took from OP's post that the phone was working with the cracked screen, but stopped working after the update. It seems the screen is still working, as it is displaying the error message.

Zigner

I took from OP's post that the phone was working with the cracked screen, but stopped working after the update. It seems the screen is still working, as it is displaying the error message.
Fine - but it's STILL not a manufacturer's problem as it's the cell provider that pushes the updates out.

hkkaplan

Fine - but it's STILL not a manufacturer's problem as it's the cell provider that pushes the updates out.
But at the end of the day that update is from Nokia, basically what ever is in that update Nokia is the one responsible for, what cell provider does is, just pushes the updates to the phones.

justalayman

if the screen causes any part of the malfunction, the warranty is useless. If the screen is not causing any of the malfunction, then Nokia should warrant the rest of the phone and ignore the cracked screen.

Is this a touchscreen phone? If so, the cracked screen could be part of the problem. If not, it should not affect the functions of the phone, given of course that you can see any prompt to act regarding the firmware update.

hkkaplan

if the screen causes any part of the malfunction, the warranty is useless. If the screen is not causing any of the malfunction, then Nokia should warrant the rest of the phone and ignore the cracked screen.

Is this a touchscreen phone? If so, the cracked screen could be part of the problem. If not, it should not affect the functions of the phone, given of course that you can see any prompt to act regarding the firmware update.
It is a touch screen. Yes i agree and thats what the warranty says, Nokia will not cover anything that is caused by misuse. But in my case screen has been cracked very long time ago.

I did the first major firmware update which worked perfectly back in late 2011 (screen was cracked at this time as well) and ever since the phone continued to work just like a normal phone. And when the second major update was released recently during installation phone turned off and when trying to turn it back on it says firmware update has failed and it wont go any further than that. Thats why i think i have a valid point against their warranty policy.

justalayman

And when the second major update was released recently during installation phone turned off and when trying to turn it back on it says firmware update has failed and it wont go any further than that. Thats why i think i have a valid point against their warranty policy.
but can you prove the touch screen is not causing the problem? I suspect not and that is why they will win. A cracked screen can continue to degrade due the screen constantly being moved, flexed, whatever. It could be that the damaged area has moved to a place that does affect the downloading of the firmware now.

You might try talking nicely to a retailer of your phone provider to see if they will attempt to do a complete reset of the phone. Maybe if they can restore it to a point prior to the attempted firmware download, it will still be usable.

hkkaplan

but can you prove the touch screen is not causing the problem? I suspect not and that is why they will win. A cracked screen can continue to degrade due the screen constantly being moved, flexed, whatever. It could be that the damaged area has moved to a place that does affect the downloading of the firmware now.

You might try talking nicely to a retailer of your phone provider to see if they will attempt to do a complete reset of the phone. Maybe if they can restore it to a point prior to the attempted firmware download, it will still be usable.
Yes i can prove it, but can Nokia prove to me the broken screen can cause software issue??

I have already suggested this to them, I have another same phone and Im willing to smash it and test it to see if same thing happens. And i wont just drop the phone i will throw it to the wall.

I am pretty sure they know what the error message means, it could be something they can't fix and because the screen is damaged they are not willing to replace the phone there could be many other reasons behind this.

But no mater what they need to prove to me first that yes broken screen can cause this issue and then i will apologise and move out

justalayman

hkkaplan;3047154]Yes i can prove it, but can Nokia prove to me the broken screen can cause software issue??[/QUOTE/]
really? How are you going to prove it? Arguing it worked before is not proof.

I have already suggested this to them, I have another same phone and Im willing to smash it and test it to see if same thing happens. And i wont just drop the phone i will throw it to the wall.
still proves nothing. Your phone did work with the screen broken. If this is due to additional damage, unless you break the other phone in exactly the same place/manner, it proves nothing.

I am pretty sure they know what the error message means, it could be something they can't fix and because the screen is damaged they are not willing to replace the phone there could be many other reasons behind this.
actually, I have had similar problems many times. It has never been something "they couldn't fix". It is just a bug in the programming. You reset the phone and do not install the update and everything is fine. The problem with yours is you cannot get to the menu to reset the phone. I believe a retailer that does phone repairs can.

But no mater what they need to prove to me first that yes broken screen can cause this issue and then i will apologise and move out
Sorry but they don't have to prove anything to you. You cannot make them do anything. If you want to try to make them do anything, you would have to ask a court of law to intervene and do the asking.

hkkaplan

Sorry but they don't have to prove anything to you. You cannot make them do anything. If you want to try to make them do anything, you would have to ask a court of law to intervene and do the asking.
Yep thats what i will be doing next getting a leagal aid, because i know 100% that their warranty policy is not fully correct and I have a valid point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">