• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luckylou

What is the name of your state? IL

My employer asked me to sign an agreement (a piece of paper that has their signature and mine) with their private company regarding their business actions, "secrets", marketing, etc apprximately 2 yrs ago. The agreement states that in the event of my leave (voluntary or involuntary) of their company, I will not devulge their marketing strategies, recruit their customers, "steal" their forms, etc. It also states that for a period of 12 months, I cannot own, manage or operate a business similar to theirs within a specific mileage area. Nor may I work for another organization that involves any of the things they do, this would happen to also include school activities. Along with this, they also stated that in the event I leave, if there was a financial hardship involved, they would waive the right to be employed.

I do not have a problem with any of this, except the end about working for another organization. I do not want any of their business nor their customers. The owners of the business, will not allow me to work there any longer if my child leaves and attends classes somewhere else. My child is not able to stay there and the owners have asked me to take her somewhere different but I had to leave also.

Is this piece of paper a legal and binding contract? Do I have the right to leave and work with another organization or my school even if it is within the mile radius without the threat hanging over my head? As stated, this is a decision they made not me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">