• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Refundable Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thisismysn

I enrolled in a program that was supposed to start in November. I paid the non-refundable fee during registration. Now the program has been postponed to January 2013. I applied specifically for the November program and not January. I have plans for January, and there will be a schedule conflict.

Should I be able to get my non-refundable fee back? :confused:

sandyclaus

I enrolled in a program that was supposed to start in November. I paid the non-refundable fee during registration. Now the program has been postponed to January 2013. I applied specifically for the November program and not January. I have plans for January, and there will be a schedule conflict.

Should I be able to get my non-refundable fee back? :confused:
The contract terms will usually prevail in a situation like this.

While you agreed to pay the fee with the understanding it would be non-refundable, your contract was also based on a specifically agreed program date. One could argue that by unilaterally changing the terms (changing the program date), the contract was breached. You should be entitled to a refund because you didn't agree to the change, and would never have entered into the contract for the program if the dates were different.

Does the contract address this issue at all?

thisismysn

When I saw their program was accepting students to start on November 5th to December 21st, I called and made an appointment to take their assessment test. Aside from passing the test, I got interviewed on that same day and paid the non-refundable fee to hold a spot for the program. I have the receipt that shows I paid in cash, and how much left I owed (tuition). I received 4 papers, and there were no specific dates on the paper but there are specific class schedule days and time. I do have 1 page that show the financial breakdown for the school. It state that I paid in cash for registration fee and when the remaining balance for the tuition is due Nov 2, 2012. The paper that I don't have is the application. I don't remember if the application paper have the specific start date or not. On their website is still say that they are accepting students for that particular time frame: Nov 5th to Dec 21st. :(

BL

When I saw their program was accepting students to start on November 5th to December 21st, I called and made an appointment to take their assessment test. Aside from passing the test, I got interviewed on that same day and paid the non-refundable fee to hold a spot for the program. I have the receipt that shows I paid in cash, and how much left I owed (tuition). I received 4 papers, and there were no specific dates on the paper but there are specific class schedule days and time. I do have 1 page that show the financial breakdown for the school. It state that I paid in cash for registration fee and when the remaining balance for the tuition is due Nov 2, 2012. The paper that I don't have is the application. I don't remember if the application paper have the specific start date or not. On their website is still say that they are accepting students for that particular time frame: Nov 5th to Dec 21st. :(
You need a copy of the terms .If the terms say the dates could change ( somehow ),then I think they could keep the fee . You could ask and they could deny.

If there is no mention that the dates could change ,you should have good standing as there would be a breach.

thisismysn

Thanks for the input SandyClaus and BL :)
I don't have that paper of the Terms & Conditions. I do recall signing it. I will need to get a copy for myself.

Zigner - Sorry!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">