• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notarized Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOHN500

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I have been living with someone for 15 yrs. We were not registered domestic partners. At the end of our relationship we did have some joiunt finacial obligations. We had 2 cars both in our names. We had a letter notarized stating we would be fully responsible for our individual vehichles as we agreed we were not going to refinance them. It was alos agreed apon that one was to pay the other a lump sum of money,and that in doing so it brings closure to all financial matters from either party
I realize a notary just witnesses that the signatures are factual- but how binding is a letter in court like this if it is a written- signed agreement between two individuals?

Thank you in advance for the help and advice

Best of Life always

JOHN

Last edited:

C

CALIF-PRO36

JOHN500 said:

i HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH SOMEONE FOR 15YRS. WE WERE NOT REGISTERED DOMESTIC PARTNERS. AT THE END OF OUR RELATIONSHIP WE DID HAVE SOME JOING FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS. WE HAD 2 CARS BOTH IN OUR NAMES. WE HAD A LETTER NOTARIZED STATING WE WOULD BE FULLY RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR INDIVIDUAL VEHICLES AS WE AGREED WE WERE NOT GOING TO REFINACE THEM. IT WAS ALSO AGREED APON THAT ONE WAS TO PAY THE OTHER A LUMP SOME OF MONEY , AND THAT IN DOING SO IT BRINGS A CLOSE TO ALL FINANCIAL MATTERS FROM EITHER PARTY.
I REALIZED A NOTARY JUST WITNESSES THAT THE SIGNATURES ARE FACTUAL- BUT HOW BINDING IS A LETTER IN COURT LIKE THIS IF IT IS A WRITTEN- SIGNED AGREEMENT?

tHANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP AND ADVIE

bEST OF lIFE ALWAYS

john

My response:

Re-write your post; this time, without the "Caps Lock" on. Just write your words like I've done here.

IAAL

C

CALIF-PRO36

JOHN500 said:

I have been living with someone for 15 yrs. We were not registered domestic partners. At the end of our relationship we did have some joiunt finacial obligations. We had 2 cars both in our names. We had a letter notarized stating we would be fully responsible for our individual vehichles as we agreed we were not going to refinance them. It was alos agreed apon that one was to pay the other a lump sum of money,and that in doing so it brings closure to all financial matters from either party
I realize a notary just witnesses that the signatures are factual- but how binding is a letter in court like this if it is a written- signed agreement between two individuals?

Thank you in advance for the help and advice

Best of Life always

JOHN
My response:

Thank you for re-writing your post. Doing so makes it much easier to read.

Okay, you're talking about a contract. In order to advise you, we would need to read the contract, verbatim. So, without disclosing actual names, write out the entire agreement and I'll be better able to tell you whether or not it's enforceable, and other necessary terms and conditions. When you write back, tell me who actually wrote the agreement. This part is important.

You may also have a "Marvin vs. Marvin" situation; so, when you respond, I'll also briefly discuss that with you, too.

IAAL

JOHN500

How it reads NOTARIZED LETTER

The other party to the letter wrote the letter. We both agreed on the terms and signed it and included our California Drive Liscence numbers at the bottom for futher identification.

The Parties, hereby know as XXX and YYY have agreed to resolve all future financial obligations toward one another with the following agreement:

XXX will agree to pay YYY the sum of $$$,$$$ in a combination of car payments for the car owned by YYY and cash. The car payments will commence effective 1/2006 and will be paid directly to the lienholder for a period of 50 months. YYY agrees to accept all financial liabilities on his car for any accidents or repairs that must be made to his said vehicle and agrees not to hold XXX responsible for any liabilities associated with YYY car.

XXX will take full financial responsiblities for XXX's car jointly owned by both parties and agrees not to hold YYY responsible for any accidents or repairs that must be made to XXX's vehicle.

In addition to the payments outlined above YYY will continue to pay the car insurance on both vehicles through 1/2006. At that time each party will accept financial responsiblity for insurance on their respective vehicles and agrees to keep full liabiltiy insurance at the current limits and deductables.

In addition to the above XXX agrees to pay YYY the remainder of the sum of $$$,$$$ in a lump sum after the sale of the home lacated at 9999 DR. California. The payment will be made oce the loan to 9999 Dr. is paid in full and all liabilities on the 9999 Dr. home are settled in full.

both parties agree that this agreement brings closure to all financial matters between the parties and that neither party will seek any additioanl financial settlements or arrangements from the other party.

The 9999 Dr. home was never sold and XXX moved into it and decided not to sell it.
YYY continues to make payments on his own vehicle as XXX failed to pay as agrees and YYY did not want the car reposed, but has been keeping track of the payments being made to date with return checks.

So what do you think.

Thank you once again for the help

one sad guy in California

JOHN

C

CALIF-PRO36

JOHN500 said:
The other party to the letter wrote the letter. We both agreed on the terms and signed it and included our California Drive Liscence numbers at the bottom for futher identification.

The Parties, hereby know as XXX and YYY have agreed to resolve all future financial obligations toward one another with the following agreement:

XXX will agree to pay YYY the sum of $$$,$$$ in a combination of car payments for the car owned by YYY and cash. The car payments will commence effective 1/2006 and will be paid directly to the lienholder for a period of 50 months. YYY agrees to accept all financial liabilities on his car for any accidents or repairs that must be made to his said vehicle and agrees not to hold XXX responsible for any liabilities associated with YYY car.

XXX will take full financial responsiblities for XXX's car jointly owned by both parties and agrees not to hold YYY responsible for any accidents or repairs that must be made to XXX's vehicle.

In addition to the payments outlined above YYY will continue to pay the car insurance on both vehicles through 1/2006. At that time each party will accept financial responsiblity for insurance on their respective vehicles and agrees to keep full liabiltiy insurance at the current limits and deductables.

In addition to the above XXX agrees to pay YYY the remainder of the sum of $$$,$$$ in a lump sum after the sale of the home lacated at 9999 DR. California. The payment will be made oce the loan to 9999 Dr. is paid in full and all liabilities on the 9999 Dr. home are settled in full.

both parties agree that this agreement brings closure to all financial matters between the parties and that neither party will seek any additioanl financial settlements or arrangements from the other party.

The 9999 Dr. home was never sold and XXX moved into it and decided not to sell it.
YYY continues to make payments on his own vehicle as XXX failed to pay as agrees and YYY did not want the car reposed, but has been keeping track of the payments being made to date with return checks.

So what do you think.

Thank you once again for the help

one sad guy in California

JOHN

My response:

John, I have to tell you - - I don't care for your "agreement". There are so many things wrong with it, that I just don't know where to begin. To explain it any further, I would have to give you a course in contract law, and that's just not going to happen - - at least not on an Internet site. I'm sorry you went through so much trouble to write it out for me, and believe me, I had every intent to assist you. However, this "mess" goes way beyond mere "assistance" - - you guys actually need a local attorney to write an enforceable contract for the both of you.

When you consult with an attorney, have him/her discuss "Marvin" with you, too.

Good luck to you, John.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">