• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notarized letter...what does this mean for me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michigangirl37

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I received 2 notarized forms from the company I bought my car through, saying that my loan is paid off. I also have the title in my name. This was the company's error. They are now saying that its not paid off. Do the notarized forms mean anything?

S

shell007

I received 2 notarized forms from the company I bought my car through, saying that my loan is paid off. I also have the title in my name. This was the company's error. They are now saying that its not paid off. Do the notarized forms mean anything?
Are you saying that YOU DID in fact make payments and YOU DID pay the car off and now they are saying it is not? How much do they say you owe?

OR

Are you saying the company made a documentation error, and you are trying to see if you can KEEP the FREE car by using their clerical error (notorized forms)?

dallas702

If you have the title showing no liens, and you have the statements that you have paid the loan in full, it appears you don't owe them any more money and the car is no longer collateral if it ever was.

What reason do they give for saying you still owe them money? What do your records of payment show? How much $$$ do they say you still owe? What were the terms of the original loan? Any balloon payment due after the scheduled payments were finished?

michigangirl37

shellandty said:
Are you saying that YOU DID in fact make payments and YOU DID pay the car off and now they are saying it is not? How much do they say you owe?

OR

Are you saying the company made a documentation error, and you are trying to see if you can KEEP the FREE car by using their clerical error (notorized forms)?
i have not paid off the car...they sent me 3 letters, 2 of which are notarized, saying that i do not have an outstanding balance.

i am now receiving letters saying that i do have $2500 balance.

i am wondering if i benefit from their mistake, does the notarized mean anything?

background on the story...i made a payment by phone..in which it came from an old acct by mistake. i tried to call them after realizing that it was never taken out of my correct account. both times i called (over a 4 week span) i was told that the acct is paid off. i stopped receiving bills after i got the letters saying that i dont have a balance anymore. i called everymonth and never got a return call.

S

shell007

You may think for now that you hope you get to keep the car without having to finish paying for it (even though) you still owe $$$$$,

Although the notarized forms may give you a legal leg to stand on (I don't know for sure), but I don't think you'll be sleeping very well if you are normally an honest person.

My advice.....Be honest and get this thing cleared up "the right way"! You admit you owe the money, they know you owe the money, my suggestion....pay the money! That's just the honest thing to do, but then again this is a legal forum!

Check back....maybe someone else here will tell you that you just got out of paying $2500.00.

dallas702

And, if you went to court the judge would ask if you can show that you actually paid the entire balance. Since you couldn't show that he would order you to pay the rest.

michigangirl37

dallas702 said:
And, if you went to court the judge would ask if you can show that you actually paid the entire balance. Since you couldn't show that he would order you to pay the rest.
so if this went to court the judge would make me prove that i paid it, instead of makine the loan company prove that i DIDNT pay it? (just playing devils advocate here and trying to get more info). and the judge would say that the document i received means nothing because i cannot prove i paid it? the proof lies in the fact that the company sent me a document telling me that i paid it off...in that document they admitted that i paid it off (whether its true or not...the document states i have a zero balance).

it just aggravates me that i attempted numerous times to correct this problem and i was told each time that it was paid off...now that they found their mistake they are trying to correct it...instead of listening to me the first time i called to make this right!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">