• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Note 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

note7

Is it legal for carriers to stop providing cell service to our phones, and then charge full retail value for a recalled item?

quincy

Is it legal for carriers to stop providing cell service to our phones, and then charge full retail value for a recalled item?
Could you please provide the name of your state, note7, and could you please explain a bit better your concern?

justalayman

Question 1: yes

Question 2: I don't know what you mean but here is Samsung return policy for the note

www.samsung.com/us/note7recall/?cid=ppc-

note7

I live in Washington, but I would assume these laws are federal and not state.

Samsung released their phone, found out they had an issue, and recalled it. The replacement device (which I have) was also found to have a defect, and this time Samsung stopped production of the phones and recalled the ones that people own. However, Samsung's own website and the CPSC both declared that this is a voluntary recall. In other words, Samsung as the manufacturer can no longer sell these products to consumers, yet it is up to the consumers as to whether or not they want to return it.

Recently Samsung has been having the various carriers send out updates to limit the battery capacity of the phones, and most recently completely brick them, not allowing the phones to charge or connect to wifi or any mobile networks.

For those of us that have not installed these updates, our phones still work. However, now Verizon (and perhaps other carriers) is sending out messages that users have to return the phone within a certain time frame so as not to be charged the full retail value of the phone (which they have been making useless with their updates). This, from what I understand is illegal as it is unlawful to sell or receive payments of any kind for a recalled good.

Not only is Verizon threatening to void our contracts through the demand of a full payment, but they are also stating that they will block outgoing calls, essentially removing the "phone" functionality from the devices.

My question, is really just to find out if this is legal or not?

LdiJ

I live in Washington, but I would assume these laws are federal and not state.

Samsung released their phone, found out they had an issue, and recalled it. The replacement device (which I have) was also found to have a defect, and this time Samsung stopped production of the phones and recalled the ones that people own. However, Samsung's own website and the CPSC both declared that this is a voluntary recall. In other words, Samsung as the manufacturer can no longer sell these products to consumers, yet it is up to the consumers as to whether or not they want to return it.

Recently Samsung has been having the various carriers send out updates to limit the battery capacity of the phones, and most recently completely brick them, not allowing the phones to charge or connect to wifi or any mobile networks.

For those of us that have not installed these updates, our phones still work. However, now Verizon (and perhaps other carriers) is sending out messages that users have to return the phone within a certain time frame so as not to be charged the full retail value of the phone (which they have been making useless with their updates). This, from what I understand is illegal as it is unlawful to sell or receive payments of any kind for a recalled good.

Not only is Verizon threatening to void our contracts through the demand of a full payment, but they are also stating that they will block outgoing calls, essentially removing the "phone" functionality from the devices.

My question, is really just to find out if this is legal or not?
Just return the danged phone and you won't have this problem any more.

note7

Just return the danged phone and you won't have this problem any more.
Gee thanks.

This is about more than just the phone. This is about our rights as consumers, and whether or not companies are intentionally stepping all over them knowing that they won't suffer any repercussions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Gee thanks.

This is about more than just the phone. This is about our rights as consumers, and whether or not companies are intentionally stepping all over them knowing that they won't suffer any repercussions.
Ahhh, you're a crusader. Best of luck to ya!

LdiJ

Gee thanks.

Dude, the Note 7 has proven to be so dangerous that they are recalled and production has stopped. All of this stuff that is going in is in an effort to make them less dangerous and get people to return them ASAP. Those who are stubborn about getting it done are going to run into problems.

By the way...a voluntary recall doesn't mean what you think it means. It means that the company recognized the problem and voluntarily recalled the product instead of the government making them do it.

note7

Dude, the Note 7 has proven to be so dangerous that they are recalled and production has stopped. All of this stuff that is going in is in an effort to make them less dangerous and get people to return them ASAP. Those who are stubborn about getting it done are going to run into problems.

By the way...a voluntary recall doesn't mean what you think it means. It means that the company recognized the problem and voluntarily recalled the product instead of the government making them do it.
You are correct. I guess I should have rephrased my earlier statement. Recalls are still voluntary when it comes to consumer participation.

LdiJ

You are correct. I guess I should have rephrased my earlier statement. Recalls are still voluntary when it comes to consumer participation.
Yes, but if the product is dangerous enough the parties involved are not going to make it easy for consumers to keep the product. They do not want to be responsible for someone getting killed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">