• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NSF fees when funds available via line of credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

waka

Hi. I live in New York, and last week managed to overdraw my account. I opened a $500 credit line a month or so ago to protect myself from overdraft fees. While my wife and I were on vacation, several transactions overdrew my account by about $300 on the same day. Though I had more than adequate funds available in my credit line to cover the debt, only a small portion ($80.00) was transferred by the bank. As a result, the bank is charging me $275.00 in overdraft fees, while my line of credit still has enough funds to cover everything (not including their charges). Of course, the line of credit is supposed to automatically transfer funds in this situation.

I spoke with a customer service rep over the phone about this, and he told me that "holds" placed on my account by certain business (mainly restaurants) caused the funds in my line of credit to appear inadequate on the day that all the transactions cleared. These holds go away after two business days, but by that time I had already been charged for insufficient funds.

Apparently, holds are a way for businesses to insure that funds will be available when they decide to actually charge the account. If the amount being held is different than the amount charged, the hold and the charge both go onto the account until the hold clears (causing the account balance to drop by both the amount of the charge and the amount of the hold). In my opinion, such holds are beyond my control, and I should not have to pay the fees as I have adequate funds available to cover the debt.

The customer service rep gave me a "that's the policy, so too bad" routine, and refused to let me speak with his supervisor. He also told me that no rep is authorized to reverse the charges. I visited my local branch and spoke with them about this issue on Friday, and we have a scheduled meeting for this coming Tuesday. However, I expect them to act as if this is not an error, and therefore something that they don't have to deal with.

Anybody dealt with something like this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Waka

W

waka

An Update

AN UPDATE

Ok, so I met with the bank today, and they are agreeing to reverse most ($200) of the charges. However, the manager tried to lay a guilt trip on me ("My supervisor is not going to be happy with me about this...") but agreed to ask her superior about reversing the remaining charges. At this point, authorization on the final $75 is out of her hands (or so she tells me).

I would still appreciate any advice on this situation. I expect to speak to the manager's superior tomorrow.

Thanks,
Waka

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">