• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obligation to pay questionable bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rpulsifer

What is the name of your state? New York
My 11 year old son accessed adult-oriented sites. During the process, he blind-clicked and ended up downloading an automatic dialer. This dialed a phone number that charges $4.99 per minute. His 13 minute excursion resulted in a bill from a Georgia company. I have not authorized this, and from what I can discern, the company in question did not provide reasonable filtering criteria to prevent minors from obtaining their content. I now have a bill for $70, along with large print explaining penalties for not paying it. Am I obligated to pay this? What would be the result if I ignored the bill?

T

Tony Bells

Obligation to pay bill

first you should have engaged parental controls security to your computer, second if this bill was charged to your credit card you need to dispute it with your credit card company. if your son did not utilize the services of this site it is unlikely you are responsible for any charges. I don't see how a company from Georgia has any leverage alone in NY. you need to empasize the fact that websites are subversive and confusing for children today because these sites are associated with things the child believes to be innocent, the sites are specifically designed to lure children to them. engage your parental controls and monitor your childs activity on the web.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">