• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obligation to return merchandise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

harry1

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I bought a laptop computer on Ebay the last of December 2002 and sent a personal check for payment. After three weeks I had no computer and no contact from the seller, so I emailed him three times inquiring whether the check was received or not. No answer. I then told him I was stopping payment on the check if he did not respond and still no answer. I then stopped payment and told him that I was sorry that we could not do business.
I then bought another laptop a few days later. When UPS delivered a package I signed for it thinking it was the second laptop, but it turns out it was from the first guy. He shipped it after I stopped payment on the check. Now he seems to know my email address and phone number. My question is, am I obligated to send it back when he sent the product after I stopped payment?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

harry1 said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

I bought a laptop computer on Ebay the last of December 2002 and sent a personal check for payment. After three weeks I had no computer and no contact from the seller, so I emailed him three times inquiring whether the check was received or not. No answer. I then told him I was stopping payment on the check if he did not respond and still no answer. I then stopped payment and told him that I was sorry that we could not do business.
I then bought another laptop a few days later. When UPS delivered a package I signed for it thinking it was the second laptop, but it turns out it was from the first guy. He shipped it after I stopped payment on the check. Now he seems to know my email address and phone number. My question is, am I obligated to send it back when he sent the product after I stopped payment?

My response:

What is your educational background - -

1. High School Graduate?

2. College Graduate?

Do you live in a - -

1. House?

2. Trailer?

3. None of the above?

Do you work at - -

1. Home?

2. An office?

3. Unemployed?

Are you - -

1. Brainless?

2. A Criminal?

3. All of the above?

You needed to ask your question because - -

1. You're unable to think on your own.

2. You need someone to tell you right from wrong.

3. You're just a brainless, trailer trash, uneducated, criminal, idiot.

IAAL

H

harry1

Dime store lawyer

You are wrong on all accounts and I only posted the question as I had the mistaken notion this was a legitimate forum. If you are really a lawyer, I pity your clients unless they are the same breed of scum sucker you appear to be. You probably work for the crook who thought he could cash my check and not send the merchandise as he has with other customers. Looks like the tables are turned.

I will not waste my time with this forum again.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I absolutely refuse to put up with idiots on these forums any longer.

You actually came here to get an answer to a "right or wrong" moral dilemma?

You can't answer it on your own?

Are you that much of an idiot? You must be.

IAAL

JETX

"You probably work for the crook who thought he could cash my check and not send the merchandise as he has with other customers."

I find the above statement VERY peculiar given the writers comments.
1) He had already put a stop pay on the check, so there is NO way that the seller "thought he could cash my check".
2) Calling the seller the crook since the seller DID send the merchandise and the writer is now trying to not pay... yet he calls the seller the "crook".
3) You say he has done this "with other customers", but offer NOTHING to support this claim. Did you make this claim up in trying to support your unsupportable position??

So, lets play 'legal' for a minute:
Seller sends you merchandise and has your signature to prove receipt. You refuse to pay (stop pay on payment). Seller contacts your police department to report theft. Police investigate, find his claims true (after all, they are), you get to try on some new 'bracelets'.

Is that really a risk you are willing to take?? Being arrested and handcuffed at work, or at home in front of family.

Contact the seller and explain the circumstance. Find out if he is willing to accept the return of HIS merchandise or wants payment. You do NOT get to keep the item without payment or permission.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
[B

"Contact the seller and explain the circumstance. Find out if he is willing to accept the return of HIS merchandise or wants payment. You do NOT get to keep the item without payment or permission."

==================================

My response:

. . . and this idiot NEEDED to be told that?

What happened to common sense and decency? A sense of "right and wrong"?

Right out the window, along with this writer's original post.

Good response to this idiot, Steve.

IAAL

JETX

IAAL, like you, I am often both shocked and saddened by this 'lowest common denominator' that society keeps bringing forth. Some of their 'logic' that 'sets me off' is:

- I am a victim and deserve special treatment!!
- I signed my name to that loan/credit application and now that I have spent YOUR money, how dare you ask for or expect repayment!!
- How dare they fail MY child!!
- I did a crime and was caught. Now it is inconvenient and I need to know how to remove it from my record!!
- Your ancestors took my ancestors from their homeland and made them slaves. I now want YOU to pay me!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">