• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtained My Bank Account Information Without My Permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davelja1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts.

I use Intuit QuickBooks to run my small business. I was forced to update my version as they weren't supporting Basic any longer. So, I paid to do so, and flipped the Quickbooks payroll to a local company.

The new Quickbooks emailed invoices with a note to use their Intuit Payment Service whereby a client can deposit money directly into my business checking account. Clients asked for the service, and I obliged by clicking on the Additional Services Tab on my Quickbooks program. Quickbooks then pulled all of my company information from my program. In short order, I received an email from Quickbooks underwriting, asking me the to confirm my status as a Chapter S Corp., and then, asked me to provide them with my social security number for identification purposes. I first confirmed that it was a true Quickbooks request BEFORE replying.

Within the Quickbooks program, there is NO - NONE - ZERO reference to my personal home information, personal banking information, nothing. I did NOT provide Quickbooks with ANY of my personal banking information. Only the company information in the program was made available to them.

Using my Social Security Number, Intuit somehow obtained the routing number and checking account number for my personal/family checking account and began diverting checks from company clients into my personal account.

I contacted the bank and their security arm. It is a security breach and NO ONE at the bank provide Intuit with this information. I contacted Intuit asking them how/where they got this info, and they won't answer.

This causes my all kinds of issues with clients, with accounting, with the IRS, everything.

I don't know how they did this, and the damages are immeasurable. What should I do? Should I sue Intuit?

swalsh411

How long did this go on for before you noticed it and stopped it? Is your business account and personal account at the same bank?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">