• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odd question on an auto repair warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arctic_man

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
Greetings,

I had my car repaired by shop X 6 months ago for a head gasket problem. I was provided a 2 year /24,000 mile warranty. The company was sold, and then closed, and my car is having the same problem. Am I able to sue the owner for the cost of the repair? With the repair, if it was done correctly, should have never happened again, let alone 6 months later. So am I able to go after the owner in small claims for the botched repair?

Thank you.

arctic_man

The answer is maybe. Was this a franchise of a national company or a one shop type of business?
Thank you for the reply, it was a one shop type of place. I did some more research and I found that the company is still registered to the owner and is active/in good standing. It also does not appear that the company is an LLC or a corporation.

OHRoadwarrior

I am confused by your story. So owner A fixed your car, the shop was sold to owner B. Owner B opened up the shop, under the same name, in the same place, then the shop went out of business. How can the closed business be active/in good standing?

Likely, since the sale did not involve a sale of stock( i.e. is privately owned), Only the property, name and equipment were sold and no liability exists to the buyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">