• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odometer Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Klausflorida

What is the name of your state? FL
I just bought a 1993 Ford Thunderbird with 16,500 miles on it. The dealer told me the car is exempt from odometer disclosure, because it is over 10 years old. I told him I want the mileage stated in the odometer disclosure form, because it is the reason why I buy the car and why I pay the negotiated price for it. He stated the 16,500 miles in the statement and I thought everything is fine, including a clean carfax until the problems started and a mechanic told me the car has easily over 100K miles.

My question is now if the odometer disclosure form I have in my hands is good or not, because cars over 10 years are exempt? I see it as part of the contract and misrepresentation of the actual mileage.

Klaus

genivieve

What is the name of your state? FL
I just bought a 1993 Ford Thunderbird with 16,500 miles on it. The dealer told me the car is exempt from odometer disclosure, because it is over 10 years old. I told him I want the mileage stated in the odometer disclosure form, because it is the reason why I buy the car and why I pay the negotiated price for it. He stated the 16,500 miles in the statement and I thought everything is fine, including a clean carfax until the problems started and a mechanic told me the car has easily over 100K miles.

My question is now if the odometer disclosure form I have in my hands is good or not, because cars over 10 years are exempt? I see it as part of the contract and misrepresentation of the actual mileage.

Klaus
All cars sold in Florida regardless of age are required to be sold with an odometer statement. If the car was sold TMU true milege unknown then the mileage would be exempt. Dealers or consumers usually have to replace the whole cluster which includes the OD because of a failing parts such as speedometer. Or it is replaced as a scam for mileage.

If this car was not checked TMU contacted Flordia DMV and file a complaint againist the dealer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">