• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odometer Fraud... What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ScrewedOnCar

Michigan

Back on Dec. 26 2001 I purchesed a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix with 21k miles on it. Before I bought it, I ran a title check on it, and it came back with 2 owners, the latest being the people I bought the car from. I also noticed that the latest owners had only put around 800 miles on the car after owning it for 8 months. I asked them about it, and they stated that the car was only used as a weekend car, and that they tryed to keep the mileage as low as possable. The condition of the car was MINT. The paint was perfect, the interior still smelled like new, and the engine ran like it was new, so I didn't look too far into the mileage issue.

I purchesed the car, and before the Factory warrenty ran out, I decided to buy a GMPP Extended warrenty from my GM dealer. I didn't plan on putting too many miles on the car, so I only got the 50k / 2 year warrenty for it. I pay $1,700 for the warrenty, and have been happy with it since then...

Ok, fast forward to last week....

I was installing a new Radio, and noticed some wires that had been cut, and a switch installed... I followed the wires, and they went to the Speedo Cluster! I flipped the switch, and took the car for a drive around the block. The Speedometer didn't work, and the Odometer didn't move! One of the 2 previous owners had this switch installed to keep miles from counting up on the car!

I took the car to a friends house, and he hooked an automotive scan tool to it, and read the mileage directly off of the car's PCM. It had over 60k on it!!!

Now, what should it do?? I've already owned this car for almost a year, and put almost 12k miles on it. I've used my extended warrenty a few times for small things, but nothing big. I don't want to report it because I'm sure they will find some reason to cancel the $1,700 warrenty I already payed for. I also don't want to cover it up, because I would be as bad as the people that origanly did it, and I don't want someone in the future to come after me thinking I was the one responsable!

Anyone have any advice on my situation??

Thank you for reading
Jon

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">