• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odometer rollback on 98 VW Bug

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gddess

Washington State-

2 months ago, I bought a 98 VW Bug with 6200 miles. I just found out from www.carfax.com that my odometer was rolled back, 12,000 miles, 2 months before I bought it. It was originally purchased in NY, then at auction, the dealership bought it at as a Fleet Vehicle, then sold it to me. It costs me $15.00 to find this out about the car, shouldn't the dealership be responsible for looking this stuff up before selling it. My question is what kind of recourse can I take?

JETX

You might have a case, but against who??
Your will need to get copies of all paperwork showing odometer readings and see if the dealer that sold you the car was the one who changed the odometer, or if he is also a 'victim' of the perpetrator.

If you can show that 'your' dealer did it, he may be liable for both civil and criminal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">