• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oil change shop requiring repairs for damage to my car to be repaired by them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobiam

CT location.
An "quickee" oil change shop damaged my oil pan, installed a substandard plug which subsequently leaked. I had them look it over but they failed to repair it and it worsened. I had my oil pan replaced by a professional. The "quickee" shop is relying on a statement on the back of their receipt that says "if repairs and required, you must contact "quickee" prior to any repairs taking place. We will not be responsible for repairs not authorized by our company."

My position. I can have my car repaired by a garage on my choice. First they replaced my oil plug with a badly substandard repair product after badly damaging my oil pan. It was brought back to them promptly when it dripped, at which time they stated that they fixed it and that it was not leaking any more. In truth it was leaking much worse when it was back home so I had the repair done by a reputable garage of my choice. I want them to give me total reimbursement. They offered half reimbursement.

What do you think???

Bob

Just Blue

CT location.
An "quickee" oil change shop damaged my oil pan, installed a substandard plug which subsequently leaked. I had them look it over but they failed to repair it and it worsened. I had my oil pan replaced by a professional. The "quickee" shop is relying on a statement on the back of their receipt that says "if repairs and required, you must contact "quickee" prior to any repairs taking place. We will not be responsible for repairs not authorized by our company."

My position. I can have my car repaired by a garage on my choice. First they replaced my oil plug with a badly substandard repair product after badly damaging my oil pan. It was brought back to them promptly when it dripped, at which time they stated that they fixed it and that it was not leaking any more. In truth it was leaking much worse when it was back home so I had the repair done by a reputable garage of my choice. I want them to give me total reimbursement. They offered half reimbursement.

What do you think???

Bob
If you end up in small claims court make sure you bring the mechanic that did the follow up work on your car.

Bobiam

If you end up in small claims court make sure you bring the mechanic that did the follow up work on your car.
Thanks, but I doubt the mechanic would be interested in spending a half day for free doing that. If I paid him it wouldn't be worth winning!

I'm really interested in learning if a business can insist that they handle corrections for the damage they've done. I think not. Once that business proves their incompetence, why would anyone go to them for the corrective work??

Bob

Just Blue

Thanks, but I doubt the mechanic would be interested in spending a half day for free doing that. If I paid him it wouldn't be worth winning!

I'm really interested in learning if a business can insist that they handle corrections for the damage they've done. I think not. Once that business proves their incompetence, why would anyone go to them for the corrective work??

Bob
Good Luck to you then

ecmst12

Sue them in small claims court. I suspect you will be fine even without the mechanic. Just bring your receipts. There does not seem to be a dispute about who caused the damage.

In fact, once you file the suit, the oil change place will probably turn things over to their insurance company who will most likely just pay you before it even goes to court, once you provide the documentation.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
CT location.

What do you think???

Bob
I think you handled things incorrectly. You should have contacted the shop that made the mistake, told them that you were taking it to a mechanic and they could look at the damage there before said mechanic repaired the problem. For all they know, you took out a curb and busted the oil pan and now want to blame them. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">