• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oil Company Caused Gas Leak

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanine

What is the name of your state? NY

We had our oil company come in a couple of days ago to work on our oil burner in the basement. The worker ran a hose over a working gas stove in the basement to run some water to the sink. His hose inadvertently turned the gas on unbeknownst to us or him.

Well, yesterday we come home and the house is full of gas. The fire department comes and says we are lucky the house didn't blow up and lucky that our dog and cat didn't perish as a result of the fumes.

We know it was an accident on the part of the worker but feel the company is negligent and should compensate us in some way, shape or form. The company admits their worker is to blame (and are now are putting this scenario into their worker handbook). My question is: can we sue? If they make us an offer of reimbursement what is this pain and anguish worth (we could have all been killed! Or be out of a home with a value of $350K). Help! How do you put a price tag on a what if?

C

cur7is

I think people today are too quick to sue for anything and everything they possibly can just so they can get extra money. Just be grateful you didn't lose your lives, your pets, or your house. It was a mistake. Nothing happened. Let it rest.

lilsister

I think they should cough up something for the anguish alone. You ain't making millions here but something to say hey, we screwed up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">