• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old medical bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Curious4Info

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have a medical bill from a hospitalization in 1998. The bill was not paid by the insurance because they did not get the requiered pre-authorization for the services. The provider is contracted with the insurance company, so they knew the required procedure.

The last bill I received about this was in April 1999. They were informed the reason for the insurance denial of payment. I have heard nothing else until this month about this bill. Supposedly it was placed with a collection agency in May of 1999 and I have never received anything from them either.

My questions are:
Is there a time limit on how long someone can wait to try and collect on a medical bill when they have not contacted you in almost 4 years and it was presumed to have been written off?

Does the provider have a responsibility for getting the required pre-authorization when they know it is necessary? Especially when they got it for prior services.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

C

Curious4Info

I am Always Liable, would you have any answers for this questions?

Or anyone else.

I really need an answer to this question soon.

Thank you.

T

Thomas234

I would suggest you post your quesiton under the "Collection and Credit Problems" section for response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">