• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

online contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jnpull2

I'm in Kentucky.

I signed up for a 3 day trial of a "make money from home" type website. It states in the user agreement that at the end of the three day trial, users will be charged $49.99 monthly until account is canceled.
Within 4 hours, I realized the mistake I had made, revisited their website, and was unable to find how to cancel my account.
I sent them an e-mail requesting information on how to cancel my account, but I never recieved a responce.

Does this make them in anyway responsable?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jnpull2 said:
I'm in Kentucky.

I signed up for a 3 day trial of a "make money from home" type website. It states in the user agreement that at the end of the three day trial, users will be charged $49.99 monthly until account is canceled.
Within 4 hours, I realized the mistake I had made, revisited their website, and was unable to find how to cancel my account.
I sent them an e-mail requesting information on how to cancel my account, but I never recieved a responce.

Does this make them in anyway responsable?

My response:

Now you know how a "Roach Motel" works. "They walk in, but they can't check out."

Call your bank to place a "stop and reverse" order on any charges from that company. However, you'll be lucky if that "rip-off" company makes the withdrawal under their advertised name. So, you may want to also inform your bank to place a "stop" order on any amounts that look like the amount you were charged to join.

Good luck.

IAAL

J

jnpull2

they said i will have the 49.99 charge monthly until the initial ammount is paid, and that eventually my balance will be handed over to a collection agency.

otherwise i would just issue a stop payment.

which is why i wondered if their inability to inform me on how to void the contract before the end of my trial left them responsible in anyway.

thank you for your responce, btw.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jnpull2 said:
they said i will have the 49.99 charge monthly until the initial ammount is paid, and that eventually my balance will be handed over to a collection agency.

otherwise i would just issue a stop payment.

which is why i wondered if their inability to inform me on how to void the contract before the end of my trial left them responsible in anyway.

thank you for your responce, btw.

My response:

Give me the site address, and I'll check it out. I want to see if they have a cancellation process.

Looks like you went to bed with the Devil. That's what happens with "Work at Home" schemes. And now, for your money, you bought potential trouble instead.

After I look at the site, I'll give you some other ideas that might help you.

IAAL

D

Davv3000

BS

What a crock of BS*#$% !!!
What a scam. I went to that website and noticed
how they hid the $49 fee in the middle of the 'terms' section.
It's just an example of how there are so many ripoff artists out there! Thanks for the inadvertent warning, it could have been me that fell for it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jnpull2 said:
www.studentworknow.homestead.com

thanks

=========================================

My response:

I read his gimmick "come on" on the first page. The guy can't even spell! And you fell for it. However, you signed up, and by doing so, you agreed to the following, and purposefully hidden, "No Refund" clause - - (found in their "Terms" section). You'll notice that the owner discusses several issues, both before and after, the "No Refund" agreement, that have NOTHING to do with the "No Refund" portion. Obviously, by hiding the "No Refund" portion, it wasn't meant for you, or anyone, to take actual "notice" of that portion of the agreement.

Did you read this BEFORE you signed up?

"4. You agree that any information, feedback, questions, comments and/or submissions to any of the Public Forums (as discussed below) or the like that you provide to us in connection with this Site or our Services ("Submissions") will be deemed to be provided to us on a non-confidential and non-proprietary basis and will become and remain our property. *You are purchasing 3 day trial membership for $4.99 (Non-Refundable). After the trial you will be charged a monthly fee of $49.99 (Non-Refundable) for unlimited access to the program. If you do not agree to this you must not sign up. If for some reason your credit card is declined, you will still be responsible for the fee of $49.99. If we are unable to collect this fee, we will take legal action and employ a credit collection agency to do so for us. We shall have no obligations of any kind with respect to any Submissions and shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose and/or distribute any Submissions for any purpose whatsoever, without limitation. You also agree that we shall be free to use any ideas, concepts or techniques embodied in the Submissions for any purpose whatsoever, including, but not limited to, developing, manufacturing, and marketing products or services incorporating such ideas, concepts, or techniques. In addition, you hereby waive all moral rights you may have in any materials uploaded by you."

You may be able to complain to the Federal Trade Commission and/or the Police "Bunko" squad in Florida.

You bought yourself trouble. And, it's true - - "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Good luck.

IAAL

JETX

From the sites "Terms and Conditions":
"3. You can cancel your order to the website within the first 3 days. In that time you must send a certified email to the customer service department within three days of your original sign-up. If we do not receive a certified email from you within three days of your original sign-up, you will be held liable for the unlimited access fee as well as any other costs we incur in the process of collecting this fee from you. If you do not agree to these terms you must not sign up."

Kind of sneaky, since there is no such thing as a 'certified email'!!

In any case, I would suggest you print out the cancellation email you sent (including full header information) and save it somewhere. You might also send them ANOTHER email 'confirming' their receipt of the cancellation email. Give the specifics, dates, etc. of the cancellation. Then, be sure to send with 'confirmation of receipt' (aka 'return receipt') when you send it.

D

Davv3000

72 hr. consumer cancellation

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hey, while I have your attention, can you answer me this?

I have always heard that anytime you sign a contract there is a 72 hour consumer cancellation policy. I was wondering if that applies to online credit card purchases also, for example a membership to an online dating service or anything of the sort.

JETX

"I was wondering if that applies to online credit card purchases also, for example a membership to an online dating service or anything of the sort."
*** Though I generally don't respond to 'thread hi-jackers', this is a simple and easy one.
No, it does not apply. States set specific circumstances allowing 72 hour rescission of contracts. It does not apply across the board to ALL contracts.

There is also the 'seldom-considered' "3 day cooling off rule" as provided by the FTC which COULD apply in some cases.

Click on the following for 72-hour rules in Arizona:
http://www.attorney_general.state.az.us/consumer/threeday.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">