• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online retailer disabled my account along with $525 in redeemed gift cards.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jk27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm located in California, and I believe the company follows Illinois law.

I recently redeemed $525 worth of gift cards with a large online retailer in order to make a purchase. The purchase did not go through, and the company ultimately disabled my account along with the redeemed gift cards. They cited a breach of their Terms of Use as the reason for disabling my account but refused to explain how I breached the Terms. Is there anything I can do to get the money back or the product I was attempting to purchase?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm located in California, and I believe the company follows Illinois law.

I recently redeemed $525 worth of gift cards with a large online retailer in order to make a purchase. The purchase did not go through, and the company ultimately disabled my account along with the redeemed gift cards. They cited a breach of their Terms of Use as the reason for disabling my account but refused to explain how I breached the Terms. Is there anything I can do to get the money back or the product I was attempting to purchase?
Continue trying to get information from them. Refer to their Terms of Use.

jk27

Thanks, I just tried calling the company again, and I finally got an explanation for how I violated their terms of use. It was because I had two accounts on their website, which violates their terms. For what it's worth, this was an honest mistake, as I didn't realize I had an account linked to my Facebook when I created a new account with my email address. However, I have a feeling that doesn't give me much legal recourse. My follow-up question would be: is a company allowed to take away all gift card credit for this breach of terms?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks, I just tried calling the company again, and I finally got an explanation for how I violated their terms of use. It was because I had two accounts on their website, which violates their terms. For what it's worth, this was an honest mistake, as I didn't realize I had an account linked to my Facebook when I created a new account with my email address. However, I have a feeling that doesn't give me much legal recourse. My follow-up question would be: is a company allowed to take away all gift card credit for this breach of terms?
Since you had them on the phone, did you ask how to get your money back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">