• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oral K

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

josh1

i live in Pennsylvania

i know K stands for contract-other than that i forgot all i learned in my intro to law classes

i had recently hired an excavator to do work including putting in water and sewer lines, creating a parking lot, and general surface grading

when the excavator and i talked about the extent of the project, he estimated 18-20 hours working time @ 60$ an hour plus materials cost

i hired him to do the work but never signed any type of work order

we never wrote up a formal contract and he took much longer than expected to do the work

having recently received a bill for 4400$- i commented that this was much higher than what i had been anticipating by his previous estimate

he threatened to put a lien against the business for which he did the excavating unless he is paid in full

the question basically i have is

1 was his estimate a working oral K or an invitation to deal?

2 if his estimate was an oral K, am i legally responsible for any other work above and beyond that?

3 how do liens work?

4 if he has no work order, how can he prove i hired him to do the job in the first place, and to what extent of work he was hired to preform?

i have no "proof" of his estimated time to completion

i have agreed to pay for all material costs incurred but we are at a standstill over the labor costs, which i feel were not clearly explained when he first was hired for the job.

i thank you legal gurus for imparting your knowledge onto me

also does anyone know the website where you can look up the U.S.C?
thanks ---------josh

also his bill is made out not to myself but to my corporation
he was not hired by the corporation but by myself

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">