• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

oral lease is it valid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Panther3496

What is the name of your state? California
i was a Manager for over a year in apartment community of 100 units i was 100% occupied some of my residents came in febuary
2003 and wanted to sign leases, because i was having problems with my computer and printer i asked them to come back. recently i was fired without warning earlier they that week they gave me 2 months "in there words" to "start putting them first instead of my residents" but when the person who supposed to be deciding if i was performing to expectations was let go from another property she was working out she became desperate for a job so they gave her mine, they did not honor the 2 months agreement when she was fired from a sister complex they fired me 3 days later and gave my job to her. well in the meantime i was trying to get all the residents in to sign the oral lease i had negotiated with them in feburary so they wouldn't move these negotiation was what they would pay rent from 6 months leases to 1 year now most of these residents have lived here over five years. the new manager who took my job has threatned my residents since i am 100% occupied of raising there rents from 1200.00 to 1450.00 i have written a letter verifying the oral agreements i made as acting manager for my residents. dose the new acting manager have to honor my agreements since they have established in the computer the rent they have been paying since feb. 2003 and the agreements were made when i had the authority or can she just raise there rents and threaten to evict them is she allow to humiliated my former residents they are great residents never late always follow rules and never give me problems whats there rights and mine.:confused:

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Panther3496 said:
What is the name of your state? California
i was a Manager for over a year in apartment community of 100 units i was 100% occupied some of my residents came in febuary
2003 and wanted to sign leases, because i was having problems with my computer and printer i asked them to come back. recently i was fired without warning earlier they that week they gave me 2 months "in there words" to "start putting them first instead of my residents" but when the person who supposed to be deciding if i was performing to expectations was let go from another property she was working out she became desperate for a job so they gave her mine, they did not honor the 2 months agreement when she was fired from a sister complex they fired me 3 days later and gave my job to her. well in the meantime i was trying to get all the residents in to sign the oral lease i had negotiated with them in feburary so they wouldn't move these negotiation was what they would pay rent from 6 months leases to 1 year now most of these residents have lived here over five years. the new manager who took my job has threatned my residents since i am 100% occupied of raising there rents from 1200.00 to 1450.00 i have written a letter verifying the oral agreements i made as acting manager for my residents. dose the new acting manager have to honor my agreements since they have established in the computer the rent they have been paying since feb. 2003 and the agreements were made when i had the authority or can she just raise there rents and threaten to evict them is she allow to humiliated my former residents they are great residents never late always follow rules and never give me problems whats there rights and mine.:confused:
**A: in the absence of a written lease, the oral lease applies only as to month-to-month tenancy. Rents can be raised in accordance with the L/T law for month to month tenants.

P

Panther3496

found new law

hi homeguru,
if you go into the consumer affairs of the state of california it states that oral leases are as binding as written leases for up to 1 year and if for more then 1 year it has to be in writing. i just found it and thought i would let you know thaks for the help.
panther;)

HomeGuru

Re: found new law

Panther3496 said:
hi homeguru,
if you go into the consumer affairs of the state of california it states that oral leases are as binding as written leases for up to 1 year and if for more then 1 year it has to be in writing. i just found it and thought i would let you know thaks for the help.
panther;)
**A: yes, that is correct provided both the tenant and the landlord agree.
In your case, you are not the landlord.

P

Panther3496

hi homeguru

I might not be the landlord but at the time I was the acting manager for the landlord and was able to sign all leases and a agreement I was the one who had to evict collect monies I did the landlords job so when these oral agreements were made I was the landlords agent so they are binding and legal. Thanks for info everytime you give me more info to look up it is helping me thanks homeguru. Panther

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">