• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oral Surgeons changing price of procedure after the fact?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SamLAllen

What is the name of your state (New Jersey)?

I broke my jaw in an ATV accident. Neither my medical or dental would cover the work so I went ahead and found a dentist and paid out of pocket. The prices were set and if I paid in full I would receive a discount. So I paid in full for all of the work and had the first procedure. After having the first procedure the military decided since it was a trauma case that they would go ahead and do the rest of the surgeries for me. I went back to the original dentist and let them know. They let me know what my refund amount was going to be and I was fine with that considering I have the original documents with the stated prices and everything seemed to match up. I went in today to sign off so that I could receive my refund and they said that the refund was to be about $700 less then what they had originally told me. When I asked why they said that the Dr. changed the prices for the procedures that I had already had done because I wasn't going to be having the rest of the work done there and he only gave me those prices assuming that I would.
What I don't understand is how he can change the price after it was agreed upon plus if I hadn't paid in full up front I would have paid per procedure and I would have paid the amounts that were on the original agreement at the time of the procedure there would have been no price change.

Am I wrong?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (New Jersey)?

I broke my jaw in an ATV accident. Neither my medical or dental would cover the work so I went ahead and found a dentist and paid out of pocket. The prices were set and if I paid in full I would receive a discount. So I paid in full for all of the work and had the first procedure. After having the first procedure the military decided since it was a trauma case that they would go ahead and do the rest of the surgeries for me. I went back to the original dentist and let them know. They let me know what my refund amount was going to be and I was fine with that considering I have the original documents with the stated prices and everything seemed to match up. I went in today to sign off so that I could receive my refund and they said that the refund was to be about $700 less then what they had originally told me. When I asked why they said that the Dr. changed the prices for the procedures that I had already had done because I wasn't going to be having the rest of the work done there and he only gave me those prices assuming that I would.
What I don't understand is how he can change the price after it was agreed upon plus if I hadn't paid in full up front I would have paid per procedure and I would have paid the amounts that were on the original agreement at the time of the procedure there would have been no price change.

Am I wrong?
He gave you a "bundle" or "package" price for the services. You agreed to buy the "bundle"/"package". Of course you have to pay more if you break that agreement.

SamLAllen

Ok my only problem with that is if I were to pay per procedure which I could have done if I didn't have the funds available the prices would still be the original agreed upon prices..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok my only problem with that is if I were to pay per procedure which I could have done if I didn't have the funds available the prices would still be the original agreed upon prices..
That is the real question, isn't it?

SamLAllen

Meaning he had already given me a price list for all of the procedures.. Itemized.. I only chose to pay up front for an 8% discount for paying in full..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">