• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

".org" misleading for loan companies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

butterygoodness

Hello.
Is this a common occurrence? For instance, a loan consolidation company who owns multiple ".com," and ".org" names, but purposefully redirecting all page views to a ".org" to mislead the consumer into thinking the company is non-for-profit? Unfortunately, I consolidated with this company for student loans when they WERE non-profit (before they had a web presence), and now my interest rates have skyrocketed because they are now private. Unfortunately, I fear others will continue to be mislead with their ".org" web presence. Granted, the non-profit status is not required for this domain, but common courtesy allows non-profits to create an identity as a ".org."
Does this happen with other companies/industries?
Thank you.
(State: NY)

JETX

Yes.

A 'dot-org' suffix does NOT mean non-profit, it only means that the owner is an organization (which is a VERY broad interpretation).

Since your 'concern' is only your opinion, based on the wrong assumption, I don't believe that a lot would misinterpret a websites name intentions.

Yes.

Your welcome

racer72

Also, the organization that runs the whole internet suffix game opened up all the .org and .net designations to anybody that wishes to purchase that name. The decision was made due to the lack of available names for .com. I have a small website but the .com name I wanted was already taken but I was able to buy the .net name even though my site has nothing to do with a network.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">