• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Over charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cycosfireball

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

We spoke to a motorcycle mechanic last week on the phone about putting in a new oil pump into our 88 FXRS, ( we had the part, already) he said no problem 2 hour job.
My husband decides to do the work himself, but then his parents show for a surprise visit from out of state. So he says well for 150 bucks I will just take it there then and have them do it.
Again at the dropping off, the owners wife says no problem 2 hour job, max.
We wait and wait.. husband tries to call them, no answer. Finally 3 days later, 5:30 pm they call us and say it's gonna be 3 times the price and it took 20 hours, we get the mechanic on the phone and he says well that's how long it takes with that model...( they knew from the start what model it was) also they put in other parts ( supposedly ) which we are being charged for. No one ever called either of the 2 numbers we left them.
Now my question is do we have to pay up or were they obligated to notify us of all this extra work and price first.
Also I called another mechanic and he said no way, it takes 2 hours, not 20.

sandyclaus

From http://www.800helpfla.com/autorepair_txt.html:

What are my rights under the Florida Motor Vehicle Repair Act?
  • If the repair work will cost more than $100, the repair facility must prepare a written estimate prior to the repair being performed.
  • The repair shop must obtain your approval if the cost of repair will exceed the cost listed on the estimate by more than $10 or 10 percent, whichever is greater, but not to exceed $50.
  • If the customer does not give approval and the cost of repair exceeds the cost listed on the estimate as stated above, it is unlawful for the repair shop to hold the vehicle if the customer refuses to pay.
  • Repairs may be cancelled if they exceed the estimate as stated above and the repair shop must reassemble the vehicle, unless it is unsafe to drive. Please note, if you were given prior notice on the estimate, the shop may charge you fees for teardown, reassembly and destroyed items.
  • Provided the repair shop has no warranty arrangement or exchange parts program with a manufacturer, supplier or distributor, you are entitled to receive any replaced parts if you requested them when you authorized the repair work.
  • The repair shop must provide each customer, upon completion of any repair, with a legible copy of an invoice for such repair.
If you have a complaint, you can contact the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (Division of Consumer Services) at 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">