• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Over repaired my vehicle when it when in for inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjltrekker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.
I took my pick-up truck into my usual garage to be inspected. They could not get the emissions to clear and recommended I take it to another garage (They recommended the place) I took it a month ago. To inspect my vehicle they informed me that I needed three sensors replaced. One was easily accessible. Two others required the removal of the head. Once it was removed they recommended I change the thermostat, spark plugs and wires and serpentine belt. I agreed sine it had been five years on the plugs and wires and I had never replaced the other items. Two weeks later I got a call that it was ready. I went but it was not inspected yet and I was informed that they installed a new radiator and head gasket. No mention or prior authorization was given. They did not call or attempt to contact me.
I now have a bill for 2400.00(plus) for a 1999 Nissan frontier that was taken in for inspection. I am in a bad financial position and will need to work out a payment schedule with this ‘person’. Do I have any recourse here? I did authorize the Thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plugs and wires as well as the three emissions sensors. But never a radiator of the valve cover gasket. They never attempted to contact me. Needless to say, a 16 year old vehicle with a repair bill that would have been a down payment on something newer has left me angry. Any help here?
Do I ask for all the old parts back also?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.
I took my pick-up truck into my usual garage to be inspected. They could not get the emissions to clear and recommended I take it to another garage (They recommended the place) I took it a month ago. To inspect my vehicle they informed me that I needed three sensors replaced. One was easily accessible. Two others required the removal of the head. Once it was removed they recommended I change the thermostat, spark plugs and wires and serpentine belt. I agreed sine it had been five years on the plugs and wires and I had never replaced the other items. Two weeks later I got a call that it was ready. I went but it was not inspected yet and I was informed that they installed a new radiator and head gasket. No mention or prior authorization was given. They did not call or attempt to contact me.
I now have a bill for 2400.00(plus) for a 1999 Nissan frontier that was taken in for inspection. I am in a bad financial position and will need to work out a payment schedule with this ‘person’. Do I have any recourse here? I did authorize the Thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plugs and wires as well as the three emissions sensors. But never a radiator of the valve cover gasket. They never attempted to contact me. Needless to say, a 16 year old vehicle with a repair bill that would have been a down payment on something newer has left me angry. Any help here?
Do I ask for all the old parts back also?
Once they removed the head, why wouldn't you think the head gasket needed replacing? :cool:

justalayman

from what I saw I would not say for certain they did not need to remove the valve cover to change one of the sensors. I would be less worried about that than the radiator. Did you ask why they replaced the valve cover gasket?

, per PA law,

§ 301.5. General provisions—repair shop.

With regard to a repair shop, the following is considered unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices:
(3) Charging a customer for repairs which were not authorized in writing or charging a customer a price for agreed-upon maintenance or repair services which price, including parts and labor, was not authorized in writing or displayed in a clear and conspicuous manner on the premises. If the repair shop is unable to obtain advance written authorization because the specific repairs or costs thereof are not known when the vehicle is delivered for repair, the customer shall be so informed and shall be afforded the opportunity to select one of the following options:
(8) Failing to provide a customer at the completion of repair or maintenance work, including warranty repair work, performed on the vehicle of the customer a dated, written invoice containing the following information:
(vii) The labor charge for the repair work, setting forth the number of hours, the price charged for each hour and the total amount charged the customer for labor.
(viii) The total amount charged to the customer for parts and labor; provided, however, that the price information required by this subparagraph and subparagraphs (v) and (vii) need not be provided if the price charged to the customer for the repair or maintenance work is a single charge for the particular service which charge was included in a schedule of charges posted in a clear and conspicuous manner on the premises of the repair shop or otherwise disclosed to the customer at the time the vehicle was delivered for service or repair. No other charges are permitted by this paragraph unless they are clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the customer prior to the commencement of repairs.

So, from what you have said, the shop is in violation of the law for several reasons. What I have not found yet is what happens because of the violations. I'm still looking.

Last edited:

cjltrekker

from what I saw I would not say for certain they did not need to remove the valve cover to change one of the sensors. I would be less worried about that than the radiator. Did you ask why they replaced the valve cover gasket?

, per PA law,

So, from what you have said, the shop is in violation of the law for several reasons. What I have not found yet is what happens because of the violations. I'm still looking.

They still have the truck. I went in today to pick it up. Still no sticker and they tell me that the registration has run out (it has, but it had a week to go when I took it in (3/31/2015 expired) I have the new registration card and told him I would go and get it immediately- He informed me the person that would do the actual inspection would not be in until tomorrow. Then he told me we could go over the bill.
He grabbed a piece of paper and said- They did not write an actual bill to save me money on taxes. (Red flag went right up). He read down a list of what they replaced (1,100.00 in parts)the rest is labor. (total-2,462. 70 less tax of 77.70--He said). He then offered me three options- 1. pay in full, 2. pay at least the parts cost and we could schedule the rest, or 3. I could just give them the title and call it even. (Red flag #2) . I said that it is my truck and I need my truck, that would not be an option. I asked about the radiator, but was told that guy was not there right then. I wrote down the amounts, told him I would call the owner tomorrow and go from there. I felt it best that I left before I got angrier and opened my mouth more to this guy as I want to speak to the owner instead. I am more angry about the radiator and why no one contacted me before hand. I mean I took it in for inspection. And we talked after he had it for a week- My understanding was that the three sensors were needed for the inspections, (I of course approved them) One mechanic said the thermostat and serpentine belt should be changed since the head was already off- I agreed to both of those because they had never been changed in the 14 years I owned the vehicle. Then he mentioned the spark plugs and wires, I also approved them, since one of the spark plugs sits behind the head and was easily accessible at that time. (The plugs had not been changed for four years). And that was all that I verbally approved. there was nothing in writing at all. I brought it in for an inspection originally. The mechanic mentioned there was a coolant leak. But again- nothing else was approved by me. He ballparked me at 1200 or more but wasn't certain of the amount since it wasn't finished. A week later (Friday AM) early in the morning I got a call from a mechanic to tell me that none of the gauges worked. I told him that the instrument cluster did recently go out.(Temp, gas, speedometer all out)and I would take care of that after I had my truck back. Then he told me it was ready. I told him I would call before I left work to be sure it was all finished. I called but received no answer. I left a message. I left a message again on Monday- no replies. I called Tuesday Morning- yesterday- I asked if it was ready. I was told it was all ready but it was going to be over 2 thousand. He did not have an exact figure yet.Then yesterday (Tuesday Morning I called early) I got the same mechanic from the week prior. he said it was finished and they replaced the radiator. I asked why, he said it was from the leak, and then said it was going to be over 2000.00 I asked if I could pick it up after 3:00PM, he said yes. I asked that in order to come in and ask the owner why they replaced the radiator without contacting me. (They had and still have my number) I went for it then and was told that he (The mechanic) had forgotten to put new stickers on it, but that it would be ready this morning (Wednesday), and the owner was out again. I told him that I would be by near noon on Wednesday for it and to talk to the owner. I got there, at 2:00PM and was told that it could not be inspected over the registration and that they needed to now determine why the temperature gauge doesn't work and that the emissions would not let it pass. Here is when he went over the bill with me (A second mechanic) It is a mess and I wanted to talk to and ask the owner why the radiator was changed without any bother to ask me. Again- it was an inspection. I thank you in advance.

cjltrekker

, per PA law,

They still have the truck. I went in today to pick it up. Still no sticker and they tell me that the registration has run out (it has, but it had a week to go when I took it in (3/31/2015 expired) I have the new registration card and told him I would go and get it immediately- He informed me the person that would do the actual inspection would not be in until tomorrow. Then he told me we could go over the bill.
He grabbed a piece of paper and said- They did not write an actual bill to save me money on taxes. (Red flag went right up). He read down a list of what they replaced (1,100.00 in parts)the rest is labor. (total-2,462. 70 less tax of 77.70--He said). He then offered me three options- 1. pay in full, 2. pay at least the parts cost and we could schedule the rest, or 3. I could just give them the title and call it even. (Red flag #2) . I said that it is my truck and I need my truck, that would not be an option. I asked about the radiator, but was told that guy was not there right then. I wrote down the amounts, told him I would call the owner tomorrow and go from there. I felt it best that I left before I got angrier and opened my mouth more to this guy as I want to speak to the owner instead. I am more angry about the radiator and why no one contacted me before hand. I mean I took it in for inspection. And we talked after he had it for a week- My understanding was that the three sensors were needed for the inspections, (I of course approved them) One mechanic said the thermostat and serpentine belt should be changed since the head was already off- I agreed to both of those because they had never been changed in the 14 years I owned the vehicle. Then he mentioned the spark plugs and wires, I also approved them, since one of the spark plugs sits behind the head and was easily accessible at that time. (The plugs had not been changed for four years). And that was all that I verbally approved. there was nothing in writing at all. I brought it in for an inspection originally. The mechanic mentioned there was a coolant leak. But again- nothing else was approved by me. He ballparked me at 1200 or more but wasn't certain of the amount since it wasn't finished. A week later (Friday AM) early in the morning I got a call from a mechanic to tell me that none of the gauges worked. I told him that the instrument cluster did recently go out.(Temp, gas, speedometer all out)and I would take care of that after I had my truck back. Then he told me it was ready. I told him I would call before I left work to be sure it was all finished. I called but received no answer. I left a message. I left a message again on Monday- no replies. I called Tuesday Morning- yesterday- I asked if it was ready. I was told it was all ready but it was going to be over 2 thousand. He did not have an exact figure yet.Then yesterday (Tuesday Morning I called early) I got the same mechanic from the week prior. he said it was finished and they replaced the radiator. I asked why, he said it was from the leak, and then said it was going to be over 2000.00 I asked if I could pick it up after 3:00PM, he said yes. I asked that in order to come in and ask the owner why they replaced the radiator without contacting me. (They had and still have my number) I went for it then and was told that he (The mechanic) had forgotten to put new stickers on it, but that it would be ready this morning (Wednesday), and the owner was out again. I told him that I would be by near noon on Wednesday for it and to talk to the owner. I got there, at 2:00PM and was told that it could not be inspected over the registration and that they needed to now determine why the temperature gauge doesn't work and that the emissions would not let it pass. Here is when he went over the bill with me (A second mechanic) It is a mess and I wanted to talk to and ask the owner why the radiator was changed without any bother to ask me. Again- it was an inspection. I thank you in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">