• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overdraft Fee's/Limit on amount?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RonnieLyn

What is the name of your state? MI

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but can anyone tell me if there is a cap on the amount of an overdraft fee a bank can charge the consumer? I have surfed for consumer banking law's/practice to no avail.

My bank charged me $30.00 for bounced check (my fault) but when I went to bring my account up to balance, I found they had been charging me $5.00 a day on top of that, even though nothing else had gone through or bounced. So my total fee was $45.00 and had I not gone in, who know's what it would have been.

Thanks in advance,
Ronnie

I think so, maybe

I am sure the bank probably sent you a notice on their fees, and by you keeping your account open probably gave them the right. I know, when we get those notices we don't pay attention, but it probably clears the bank of any wrong doing. My bank ( well, not MY bank, I don't own it, it's just the one I use) charges $30 also, and charges more later if it is not taken care of. I would think a bank would not waste it's time doing something it didn't think would stand up.

djohnson

The 5.00 a day isn't overdraft fees. It's for having your account in the negative. It falls under a different fee. You agreed to their fees and terms when you opened the account. There isn't a lot you can do. If you are ordinarily a good customer, you may talk nicely and see if they can waive them this once or part of them. Chances are they won't, but I have seen them do it upon occasion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">