• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment for Auto Renewing Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smedina65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I had an annual contract with Reed Construction Data. Where I signed the contract specifically says 1 yr term starting 8-20-2010 expiring on 8-30-2011. Unbeknownst to me since I'm not in accounting, the contract auto renewed continually charging my card. Evidently in the fine print well below my signature, I am supposed to cancel with a letter 30 days in advance or it contiinues for one year. This is absolute ripoff, I haven't logged in or used their online info in a year either. Recourse?

swalsh411

So basically you believe you should not be held to the terms you agreed to? Consider this a valuable lesson in actually reading the agreements you freely enter into.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I had an annual contract with Reed Construction Data. Where I signed the contract specifically says 1 yr term starting 8-20-2010 expiring on 8-30-2011. Unbeknownst to me since I'm not in accounting, the contract auto renewed continually charging my card. Evidently in the fine print well below my signature, I am supposed to cancel with a letter 30 days in advance or it contiinues for one year. This is absolute ripoff, I haven't logged in or used their online info in a year either. Recourse?
No recourse. You weren't overcharged. You continued to be charged on a contract that automatically renewed. You failed to exercise the cancellation requirements.

By your own admission, there was fine print below your signature that provides for automatic renewal with specific terms on how to cancel the contract. Next time, take the time to read through the contracts you sign so that you can understand your obligations, and you won't find yourself surprised again.

From this point forward, I would suggest writing that letter now so that August 30th doesn't come and go again, causing the contract to auto-renew for yet another year. Until then, you are STILL responsible for the charges under the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">