• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owe a friend for my car thru contract, he's now blackmailing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C8h8

WA
The car was paid for with a check, title and everything is in my name.I signed a promissory note making me financially obligated, but now the person who loaned me the money isn't interested in money but rather physical things that I don't want to do, however I have no solid proof of payment thus far and he keeps threatening collections if I don't do whatever he decides he wants. Even gone as far as forcing me to end a relationship. I do have texts from him asking for all of these things. Just wondering also even if he did send me to collectios can they take my car?

justalayman

Send the person money in a provable fashion and ignore Everything else. "Collections" is not happening unless he is willing to pay a collector to attempt to collect the money (which would obviously be in contrast to the intent at this time).

C8h8

I'm concerned that paying a collector wouldn't be an issue, money is no factor for this person. I believe that's part of why he thinks he can get away with making me do whatever he wants. Just keeps refusing monetary payments and threatening to "get my car back" by basically lying and saying I haven't made any payments if he doesn't get what he wants. I could have never imagined someone doing this, seemed like a perfectly innocent loan...never would have done it if I knew what was to come. I just refuse to lose my car over this because I HAVE made payments, for over a year before things took this horrible turn.

eerelations

How has he refused payments? Meaning what did you try to give him and what did he do that constituted refusal?

C8h8

I tried to give him the dollar mount per month we had agreed on and he wouldn't take it, instead he insisted he wanted to be compensated physically instead...

justalayman

So tell him he has two choices:

Accept payments or refuse them. Tell him if he wants to repossess the car, bring on the tow truck.

If you let him control you, he can. He can't control you if you don't let him.

If you refuse to do anything to change the situation I will assume you actually enjoy it as it is.

single317dad

Certain prosecutors and police investigators might be interested in solicitation of sexual favors in exchange for money. Just a thought.

Just Blue

I tried to give him the dollar mount per month we had agreed on and he wouldn't take it, instead he insisted he wanted to be compensated physically instead...
Question:

Do you have the money in your account RIGHT NOW to pay what is now owned?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">