• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owe towing fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

acolyte

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

My stolen truck was recovered, stripped and undriveable. The police ordered it towed to a contracted towing company. The company contacted me to pay for the towing, 200 something dollars. The truck has no value to me. The company can have it. As I read the Hawaii revised statutes, the towing company can sell it after 30 days. (this is fine by me.) Do I have to pay the fees to the towing company if I do nothing since I don't want the truck? The truck is owned by me, no lienholders.
Thanks....John

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

acolyte said:
What is the name of your state? Hawaii

My stolen truck was recovered, stripped and undriveable. The police ordered it towed to a contracted towing company. The company contacted me to pay for the towing, 200 something dollars. The truck has no value to me. The company can have it. As I read the Hawaii revised statutes, the towing company can sell it after 30 days. (this is fine by me.) Do I have to pay the fees to the towing company if I do nothing since I don't want the truck? The truck is owned by me, no lienholders.
Thanks....John

My response:

If the tow company (TC) is unable to recoup their storage fees, and their costs to sell your truck, and all other associated costs, then yes, you'll still be on the hook for any deficiency because the vehicle is yours.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">