• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ownership rights to boat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IgnorantWT

What is the name of your state? ohio

My girlfriend had purchased a boat with her ex-boyfriend. He sold the boat to someone else. She did not give him permission to do so. Does she have the right to void the sale? Or, can she be compenstated for the sale since it has already taken place without her knowledge? If so, does she get it from her ex or from the new owners?

HomeGuru

IgnorantWT said:
What is the name of your state? ohio

My girlfriend had purchased a boat with her ex-boyfriend. He sold the boat to someone else. She did not give him permission to do so. Does she have the right to void the sale? Or, can she be compenstated for the sale since it has already taken place without her knowledge? If so, does she get it from her ex or from the new owners?
**A: was her name on title to the boat? If not, the new owners are not involved in the dispute.

I

IgnorantWT

Yes. She signed the title. But, her ex-BOYFRIEND also signed.

I

IgnorantWT

DID I?
My mistake. Today is the first time I've used this. That's really no excuse for bad typing skills, though. lol

I

IgnorantWT

Wait. What do you mean getting the money?
Nevermind that last reply. I read it wrong.
She bought the boat with her ex- boyfriend. They split up. They did not settle on how they were going to deal with the boat. He is in jail currently and needs money. He has decided to sell the boat. She just found out. She is not sure if he had the legal right to. If he does, does she get compensation? Nothing has been brought to her attention. Today, she went to the place of storage and found her ex's mother looking at the boat. She asked the mother for a copy. She has misplaced it. My girlfreind states that the mother has forged in the past. It looks as if things are going to get messy. My girlfriend does not have a copy of the title or even a bill of sale but she is trying to get some type of evidence through the dealer.

djohnson

She should also be able to get a copy of the title. Depending on how it was worded he can sell it without her, however, if she can prove interest in it or on the title she would have to sue him for her amount. The first step is to get a copy of the title and go from there.

I

IgnorantWT

Could you explain how interest is defined.What are the conditions in which he could sell without her permission.

djohnson

In some cases even if her name was not on the title but there was an agreement between the two of them and she can prove she has a vested interest (meaning payments, money, improvements, etc..) she could even sue then.

I

IgnorantWT

She is definately on the title. Can he sell the boat without her permission?

djohnson

How is she listed on the title? You still need to get the title before you know exactly what you are looking at.

JETX

"My girlfriend had purchased a boat with her ex-boyfriend. He sold the boat to someone else. She did not give him permission to do so. Does she have the right to void the sale? Or, can she be compenstated for the sale since it has already taken place without her knowledge? If so, does she get it from her ex or from the new owners?"

This is really simple......

1) Was HER name on the title to the boat?
2) If it was, how was it titled?? Did it say, "Him AND her" or "Him or her"??
3) Your post says that she 'purchased' the boat with him. Did she actually put HER money into this boat?? If so, was there any separate agreement as to recovery of her 'expense'?

Finally, IF her name was on the title as co-owner (AND), then she should go after her ex to recover her ownership share of the sale.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">