• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paid in full by customer now they are threatening to sue me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikec123

I recently completed a small remodel job for a customer without a contract but was paid in full upon completion. they were happy with the job and even tipped me, but now a month later i believe they are having money problems (i did the job very cheap to begin with) and are now saying they are going to sue me for little things that were not a problem as i was doing the job. they were present they entire time and i explained that due to the limited budget not everything would be perfect. can they sue me? im in PA

quincy

I recently completed a small remodel job for a customer without a contract but was paid in full upon completion. they were happy with the job and even tipped me, but now a month later i believe they are having money problems (i did the job very cheap to begin with) and are now saying they are going to sue me for little things that were not a problem as i was doing the job. they were present they entire time and i explained that due to the limited budget not everything would be perfect. can they sue me? im in PA
Yes, they can sue you (anyone can sue) but success with a suit will depend on more facts than what you have disclosed here.

Is a license required for doing the work you did? Are you licensed?

Advice for the future: Never ever work without a written and signed contract, outlining the terms of the agreement. Oral agreements are tricky.

BL

Sure they can sue ,don't mean they will win.

You gave a general description.

What are these little things they want to claim?

mikec123

well for instance i had lumber left over from a previous job so i used that to frame in some windows, they were not charged for the lumber, today they left me a message saying theyd sue me for using old lumber, the windows were no finished because they did not have the money for new molding and sills, also threatening to sue me because of that, and because their shower head is leaking. i also had to replace alot of the sub floor and theres a slight difference that i guess you can feel if your barefoot. it is a 70s trailer, as far as a oral contract goes i believe im good because i was upfront about everything, i had a guy working with me, will he be able to testify as witness to our "oral" contract.

Last edited:

quincy

well for instance i had lumber left over from a previous job so i used that to frame in some windows, they were not charged for the lumber, today they left me a message saying theyd sue me for using old lumber, the windows were no finished because they did not have the money for new molding and sills, also threatening to sue me because of that, and because their shower head is leaking. i also had to replace alot of the sub floor and theres a slight difference that i guess you can feel if your barefoot. it is a 70s trailer, as far as a oral contract goes i believe im good because i was upfront about everything, i had a guy working with me, will he be able to testify as witness to our "oral" contract.
I am thinking a forum is not going to be the right place for you, mikec.

You really need to have a legal professional in your area go over with both you and the customer the understandings each of you had of what was to be done for the money paid. You then will need what was done by you inspected, to see if it met the terms of the agreement as understood by both of you - and to see if it meets any code requirements for your area.

Once again I ask: Are you licensed to do the work you did for this customer?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">