• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid for Platinum, Got 14k Gold!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenbcute

Here's the short version. I am more than willing to go into more detail!

My fiance and I bought my engagement ring at "Jewelry Store X,"* a very reputable jewelry store. I was told the ring was Platinum & my paperwork/receipt states it is as well. In order to insure it, I was required to get an appraisal. An employee at "Jewelry Store X" advised me that they didn't do appraisals anymore so, I took it to Dunkin Diamonds. The appraisal states the ring is NOT Platinum but, instead, is Gold. I either* want a Platinum ring or the difference in price refunded back to me! How should I proceed???

RRevak

If it were me, I'd take the ring to get a couple more appraisals from well respected jewelers. If they all agree in writing that the ring isn't platinum then I'd take all 3 written statements back to the original store and demand they fix the issue. If they don't then get an attorney.

justalayman

Stop.

Take the ring back and seek a refund.

If neither you nor the store you bought it from can tell the difference between gold and platinum simply by looking at it they should not be in the jewelry business and you need to take somebody that isn't blind to the difference between a golden colored metal (like gold) and a silvery grey colored metal (like platinum) with you when shopping.

Are there any markings on the inside of the ring? Unless special made (and even then sometimes) a 14kt gold ring often has "14kt" or possibly a number (for 14kt gold it would be somewhere around 483) would likely be stamped inside the ring. A platinum ring may have pt stamped in it indicating it is platinum

FlyingRon

Stop.

Take the ring back and seek a refund.

If neither you nor the store you bought it from can tell the difference between gold and platinum simply by looking at it they should not be in the jewelry business and you need to take somebody that isn't blind to the difference between a golden colored metal (like gold) and a silvery grey colored metal (like platinum) with you when shopping.

Are there any markings on the inside of the ring? Unless special made (and even then sometimes) a 14kt gold ring often has "14kt" or possibly a number (for 14kt gold it would be somewhere around 483) would likely be stamped inside the ring. A platinum ring may have pt stamped in it indicating it is platinum
Sorry JUSTA, gold can be any color from the yellowish color you're assuming it always is to a "white" platinum-like color to pink to darker red. My 18K gold wedding ring is two tone (outer section is yellow and the inside is "white" gold).

There's no way you're going to identify platinum from gold by "looking" at it (absent marks on it identifying what it is). Any jeweler (or metal buying agent) will have a simple assay to determine what the metal is and to what level of refinement.

justalayman

Sorry JUSTA, gold can be any color from the yellowish color you're assuming it always is to a "white" platinum-like color to pink to darker red. My 18K gold wedding ring is two tone (outer section is yellow and the inside is "white" gold).

There's no way you're going to identify platinum from gold by "looking" at it (absent marks on it identifying what it is). Any jeweler (or metal buying agent) will have a simple assay to determine what the metal is and to what level of refinement.
actually, gold is GOLD. If it is not GOLD, it is an alloy using a material that dilutes the GOLD color. Yes, I am aware 14 karat gold is only 58.3% gold with the remainder being other metals and those metals will alter the color but there is no such thing as gold being any color other than gold. White gold is an alloy of gold and either nickel, manganese, silver, or palladium. Rose gold has a around 20% copper and 5% silver in it. Red gold has around 40% copper in it.

so, the OP did not say anything about having a white gold ring. If they do, that will change things but they need to start with looking inside the ring looking for markings as I posted to start with. If it is marked with typical gold markings, then it is likely to be gold. If it is marked with typical platinum markings, then they need to verify it as platinum.

regardless, there is a color difference between white gold and platinum. Where it gets tricky is when the white gold is rhodium plated (which is very common). Rhodium and platinum are nearly indistinguishable to the eye. White gold and platinum have differences distinguishable to the trained eye.

yes, there are tests for the various metals that can be performed but a well trained jeweler can usually tell the difference without a full blown assay or even an acid test.

but the more I read the original post, and especially with no second post, I wonder if it was not intended to be spam for the mentioned jewelry dealer. Notice how jewelry store X isn't mentioned but of course the the other jewelry store is. Why call the first store X while specifically mentioning the name of the other store? What difference does it make what the other store's name is?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">