• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent trying to get refund for minor.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ds00

My son who is 17, ordered flowers online and paid with his checking account (a New York based company--we live in VA) for his girlfriend for Valentines Day. The online tracking shows it was delivered but his girlfriend never received them--she was home all day. The delivering company is doing an investigation but in the mean time I called customer service of the flower business seeking help. After finding out that the arrangement he picked out is no longer available I asked for a refund to go back to his checking account. The representative told me they would have to speak to him in order for this to happen. I explained who I was and that he was a minor who was presently at school. They would not refund unless they spoke with him.

So my question is do I have any rights as a parent to request a refund on his behalf? What if he was 10? Was this considered a contract with a minor? I'm not looking to file a lawsuit, but if I have legal rights I want to know if I can file an official complaint and with whom.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My son who is 17, ordered flowers online and paid with his checking account (a New York based company--we live in VA) for his girlfriend for Valentines Day. The online tracking shows it was delivered but his girlfriend never received them--she was home all day. The delivering company is doing an investigation but in the mean time I called customer service of the flower business seeking help. After finding out that the arrangement he picked out is no longer available I asked for a refund to go back to his checking account. The representative told me they would have to speak to him in order for this to happen. I explained who I was and that he was a minor who was presently at school. They would not refund unless they spoke with him.

So my question is do I have any rights as a parent to request a refund on his behalf? What if he was 10? Was this considered a contract with a minor? I'm not looking to file a lawsuit, but if I have legal rights I want to know if I can file an official complaint and with whom.
You didn't order the flowers, he did. Have him contact them when he gets home.

(He's not 10, so the hyperbole is irrelevant.)

adjusterjack

Your son is old enough to have a girlfriend.
Your son is old enough to buy her flowers.
Your son is old enough to have a checking account.
Your son is certainly old enough to handle this by himself.

Stop treating him like he was 10.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">