• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents stole money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rileynicole778

Arizona Over the summer my parents and myself moved to north carolina. I was 17 at the time. We both decided to buy a car for me while we were there. Well my parents paid half and i paid half for it each paying $650. At the time i did not have plans of permantly staying in north carolina and on my 18th birthday I moved back to Arizona where we previosly had lived.Well my parents made me agree that if i moved away the car would stay in north carolina with them because the car was in thier name because I was underage at the time. Now being 18 and in arizona i have no car and would like to get my half that I paid for the car. My parents will not give me my 650 back or sell the car for me so i can get my money back. the car is still in thier name. is there anything i can do to get my money back?

justalayman

. is there anything i can do to get my money back?
was there a contract stating that you could demand payment of your share of the vehicle should you leave it with your parents? If not, then you have no right to demand repayment for what you paid for the vehicle.

rileynicole778

There was no contract stating that I could demand my payemnt back but there was also no contract stating that the car would stay with them. Nothing was in writing.

justalayman

well, since the car is in their name and there was no agreement you be repaid for your contribution, you should consider the payment rent for the use of the vehicle for the time you did use it. You have no valid claim for a return of the money.

OHRoadwarrior

First I think it is very presumptuous of you to say your parents stole your money. The correct header should have been more along the lines of "I was a dumb 17 year old, how do I fix the situation I created". That said, in NC, a $1300 car is not that impressive. One potential out for you, would be to offer to buy out their interest in the car. I estimate a $220 bus ticket and $280 in gasoline, to even get the car about 2100 miles to AZ, assuming no breakdowns. In your position, I would invest the $500 in obtaining a car already in AZ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">