• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pawn Shop employee stole my diamond ring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annakathleen

Georgia-
August 17th I went to a pawn shop to redeem my diamond ring I had borrowed money on. The owner tells me they cannot find it and they are pretty sure they know who stole it.(employee) He also tells me, don't worry I'll replace your ring. He calls his buddy who is a jeweler and tells me that the jewelry store will be having some stones "overnighted" for me to look at and pick one. I was also told by pawn owner that a police report was filed, after checking with the dept., I find out that was a lie and one was not filed. In the process of my filing a report, the detective phones him and he admits that he did not file a report, that my ring was stolen from his possession and he was going to put an ad in the paper offering a reward. So at this point, I have the report I filed, pawn owner on a digital recorder admitting it was his fault, and I have the newspaper ad offering a reward. So at this point I am covered (in my opinion) with documentation that this happened. (the newspaper ad described my ring as it was described in the appraisal I have, exactly).
It is now Sept. 3, in my opinion the time has passed for him to replace my ring, which the jewelry store owner told me was going to be done at wholesale cost to the pawn owner. It's been almost three weeks for stones to be overnighted. I have no doubt they are trying to pull something as far as not replacing my ring. I have not informed them of two things, one: I know he lied to me about the police report being filed(when he did so he made sure to say exactly this: "don't worry about documentation, I filed a police report, it's documented I owe you a ring". Two: that I have him on voice record admitting he owes the ring.

In my opinion, the time has passed for him to replace my ring. I no longer want to accept a replacement ring. I am ready to either verbally, or through a demand letter( I know you are going to tell me demand letter!) ask for the amount of $2500.00. Ring was appraised at 1825.00, plus 175.00 appreciated value(gold and platinum), plus 500.00 for loss of my engagement ring.

Please give me your opinions, what will I be able to recover in small claims court as far as monies I am asking for loss of an engagement ring. 500.00 isn't enough really but I don't know what I can ask for, legally. I'll ask for 5000.00 if I had a leg to stand on....do I have a leg?

Last edited:

ecmst12

You can ask for anything you want, but I doubt you'll actually GET more then the actual value of the ring, minus what you borrowed on it (unless you already paid back the loan).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">