• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pawn shop released my gun to another without pawn ticket.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hillbilly469

What is the name of your state? West Virginia.
Hello all,
I have owned my gun since my dad died and left it to me 8 years ago. While going thru some ruff times financialy I pawned my gun and have been paying the pawn fees for a few months untill I was able to pick it up. I saw that I was not going to be able to make payment upon the required date so I spoke to the pawn shop owner and he knowing me agreed to carry me for a few weeks. As it turned out I was able to get the money to pay the required fees 3 days after we had spoke. But when I went in to pay he with a surprised look told me that he had released the gun to my mother who paid the amount due. She told him she was sent by me to pay and pick up my gun. She had no pawn ticket as I still have it, nor was she there on my behalf. We are not on good terms and she has wanted and tried to take the gun from me on more than one occasion. Now she has my gun, and I have nowhere to turn. The WV state police officer I spoke to told me to sue her for its return, the pawn broker said he was sorry he had thought he was doing me a favor, but there was nothing he could do at this point. He did have her fill out the required form for picking the gun up. Is there anything I can do to get my gun back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You won't be able to sue in small claims court for the gun. You can sue for the value of the gun.
I would sue both mom AND the pawn shop - let the court sort it from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">