• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pawn shops: Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mes2424

What is the name of your state? Florida

I've visited this pawn shop in Tampa many times, always pawning my digital camera and always picking it up on time. The last time I pawned this camera, with every intention of picking it up again in a few weeks, I forgot to clean out the camera bag with all accessories. I always have done this before pawning the camera. The contract givin to me from the pawnshop only lists the camera as item pawned. Well, I ended up getting a great new camera for Christmas so decided to let the pawn shop keep my old camera but decided to go to the shop to retrieve the accessories left in the camera bag. The people at the shop refused to let me in the bag. They claim everything included with camera I gave them when originally pawned is theirs, even though those items are NOT included in the contract. I disputed their claims very loudly. I even offered the original box, manuals, cd, cables to them so when they resell it, they can get top dollar. They still wouldnt let me in the bag. Who is right and who is wrong?

HomeGuru

mes2424 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I've visited this pawn shop in Tampa many times, always pawning my digital camera and always picking it up on time. The last time I pawned this camera, with every intention of picking it up again in a few weeks, I forgot to clean out the camera bag with all accessories. I always have done this before pawning the camera. The contract givin to me from the pawnshop only lists the camera as item pawned. Well, I ended up getting a great new camera for Christmas so decided to let the pawn shop keep my old camera but decided to go to the shop to retrieve the accessories left in the camera bag. The people at the shop refused to let me in the bag. They claim everything included with camera I gave them when originally pawned is theirs, even though those items are NOT included in the contract. I disputed their claims very loudly. I even offered the original box, manuals, cd, cables to them so when they resell it, they can get top dollar. They still wouldnt let me in the bag. Who is right and who is wrong?

**A: they are right and you are wrong. Next time clean out the bag. Better yet, don't deal with pawn shops.

mes2424

That is what I am going to do but my whole point is that I don't feel they should have been allowed to keep those things that were NOT written on the contract. Why have a printed contract reading: items pawned - 1. black Canon digital camera + one lens. END Thats it. It didnt read 2 lenses, 5 Compact Flash media cards, several lens filters, lens cleaning supplies and a big Lowepro camera bag. My fault for being stupid and giving the whole lot to them but I was thinking maybe I could get my things under the reason of an employee who forgot to type in ALL merchandise being pawned.
At the time I intended on picking my things up in two days (payday) so I wasnt worried about giving everything to them.

dallas702

What do you think.....the pawn shop is your personal storage locker? You gave them a bag with a camera and camera accessories in it. They gave you money for the bag with everything. You might be able to persuade a SCC judge you should have the accessories back based on the preciseness of the contract and FL law governing pawn shops, but you'll have to sue to find out.

mes2424

Thanks for nothing

Well, obviously nobody here gives knowlegable advice here. Just wanted to test the knowledge of the senior members. All failed. This case was a true story. All I had to do was explain that the contract only had the camera as item pawned and within minutes I was given my bag and I got all my stuff back. The manager told me that because only the camera was written on the contract then only the camera could legally be kept. Next time i'll seek advice from a REAL attorney and not from lawyer wanna bees. A contract is a legal binding document. Assuming they could keep all undocumented items was wrong. What good is a contract if assumption for unwritten agreements is legal? I never signed papers stating they could keep everything given to them. I only signed for the camera and thats ALL they got. So what if I used them as a storage facility. They didnt "refuse" the camera bag and all its contents. They were just hoping i'd never come back and all the items would be theirs. WRONG.

dallas702

And next time you feel like tossing out some half-baked story to waste time others give voluntarily you should just sit on your toilet and get it out of your system. That's all it was worth.

If it was so simple to just ask them for the items back why did you waste your brains and bull**** telling us about it?

justalayman

Actually if you read Dallas702's post (#5) you were given the appropriate advice. You stated the pawn shop would not agree with you and voluntarily give you back the undocumented items. If this were the actual case the, calling the police may have helped you and urged them to give up the items in question. If this failed you would have had no choice but to sue.

That, short of calling the police, is the advice dallas gave you.

If the pawn shop really wanted to screw you they would have simply said "what other items, what's on the reciept is all you gave us" and you would have been left to prove otherwise.

rdrector

mes2424 said:
Well, obviously nobody here gives knowlegable advice here. Just wanted to test the knowledge of the senior members. All failed. This case was a true story. All I had to do was explain that the contract only had the camera as item pawned and within minutes I was given my bag and I got all my stuff back. The manager told me that because only the camera was written on the contract then only the camera could legally be kept. Next time i'll seek advice from a REAL attorney and not from lawyer wanna bees. A contract is a legal binding document. Assuming they could keep all undocumented items was wrong. What good is a contract if assumption for unwritten agreements is legal? I never signed papers stating they could keep everything given to them. I only signed for the camera and thats ALL they got. So what if I used them as a storage facility. They didnt "refuse" the camera bag and all its contents. They were just hoping i'd never come back and all the items would be theirs. WRONG.
Your're an F'n idiot!

dallas702

This is too funny.

We are being criticized by a bum who is so poor he has to pawn his camera every week for cigarette money.

Ya gotta love the irony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">