• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying someone for cell phone service and they shut off phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shanelitton

Hi,
I live in Savannah Georgia. I have a cell phone that is in someone's name. They make me pay $80.00 a month for cell phone service. I paid in August for August service, I just made a payment 3 days ago for September service, and they shut my phone off. Call the wireless provider and told them to cancel my service. I pulled $80 out of the ATM and handed them cash, for service this month. They won't turn the service back on, can I press charges on them for theft? Or will the local police department tell me this is a civil suite, since there was no contract signed. I have some text messages from this person saying he's keep my phone on for $80.00 a month, but they are refusing to admit that they received payment, and with only an ATM receipt I wonder if that's enough proof. Or if a $80.00 bill is something the police would even consider? Also the service was started on July 3, and he is saying the August payment was for July, and the September payment was for August, and now that it's September he has the right to shut off the phone, and not accept payment. THAT WAS NOT THE DEAL THOUGH. he told me verbally I didn't have to pay for July, but I don't have that wrote down anywhere. So I'm just confused as to what I can do if anything. Can I press charges?

Hi,
I live in Savannah Georgia. I have a cell phone that is in someone's name. They make me pay $80.00 a month for cell phone service. I paid in August for August service, I just made a payment 3 days ago for September service, and they shut my phone off. Call the wireless provider and told them to cancel my service. I pulled $80 out of the ATM and handed them cash, for service this month. They won't turn the service back on, can I press charges on them for theft? Or will the local police department tell me this is a civil suite, since there was no contract signed. I have some text messages from this person saying he's keep my phone on for $80.00 a month, but they are refusing to admit that they received payment, and with only an ATM receipt I wonder if that's enough proof. Or if a $80.00 bill is something the police would even consider? Also the service was started on July 3, and he is saying the August payment was for July, and the September payment was for August, and now that it's September he has the right to shut off the phone, and not accept payment. THAT WAS NOT THE DEAL THOUGH. he told me verbally I didn't have to pay for July, but I don't have that wrote down anywhere. So I'm just confused as to what I can do if anything. Can I press charges?

Can you press charges?
NO. You can however make a complaint and the DA will decide whether or not charges are to be filed

What can you do?
Don't blindly give someone your money and then complain when you get ripped off.

.._______________________
~Life is tuff pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid~ JW

Last edited:

Shanelitton

Thanks

Yes I know I don't have to blindly give someone money, I trusted the person. Anyways file a complaint with the DA, will that actually work? Even though I have no real proof, and it's only $80

Yes I know I don't have to blindly give someone money, I trusted the person. Anyways file a complaint with the DA, will that actually work? Even though I have no real proof, and it's only $80
Yeah, that's what hurts the most.
Well try not to put yourself in that kind position if you can.
Take care.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is not a matter the DA or the police will care about. This is a civil matter, plain and simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">