• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payment for services provided

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kingxray

I hope I am posting on the correct thread. I had some storm damage to my house that my insurance company covered. I hired a company to repair the damage and gave them a down payment from the first of two checks received from my insurance company. Shortly after the work was done I received the second check from my insurance company. I never heard from the company again and they never contacted or billed me for the remaining money. This was four months ago and I still have the money. How long do they have to collect it? What do you think happened and what should I do with this money?

Thanks for your time.

Kingxray

Illinois

Do I need to repost my thread? I entered my state in my profile and assumed it would automatically show up on my post. Sorry.

JETX

Kingxray said:
How long do they have to collect it?
In Illinois, they have up to FIVE years if a verbal agreement, or up to TEN years if written.

What do you think happened
We are not able to read peoples minds... so have no idea what or why they haven't billed you.

and what should I do with this money?
Contact them and ask them when they are going to send you their final bill. Then hold it for that period of time or 10 years, whichever comes latest.

Kingxray

Thank you for your response. That answers my question.

JETX said:
We are not able to read peoples minds... so have no idea what or why they haven't billed you.

The reason I asked your opinion on what you thought may have happened is because I thought it may be possible that my insurance company may have inadvertently paid them and that is why they were not billing me.

JETX

Kingxray said:
The reason I asked your opinion on what you thought may have happened is because I thought it may be possible that my insurance company may have inadvertently paid them and that is why they were not billing me.
But you didn't ask our opinion.... you asked "What do you think happened?". We do not have enough FACTS to come up with what MIGHT have happened. For all we know, the contractors office might have suffered a meteor hit. Or maybe they were taken over by Iraqi death squads. Or maybe, they have four daughters and are to busy distributing Girl Scout cookies. Or any of 1000 plus other 'reasons'.
Take your pick. It will be as good or better than ours (since you at least presumably have some 'feel' for them).

If you really think your insurance company might have paid them, wouldn't it be easier for you to call them and ask.... then for us to try to guess??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">