• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payments during a contract dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gatorguy

Illinois
Do I have to continue making payments to a credit union, if we are currently having a major contract dispute? Or can I wait until the state dept. makes a ruling or it goes to court?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gatorguy said:
Illinois
Do I have to continue making payments to a credit union, if we are currently having a major contract dispute? Or can I wait until the state dept. makes a ruling or it goes to court?
My response:

You'd like that to be the case. But, one thing has nothing to do with the other - - or does it ?

Are there two, separate and independent, contracts you're talking about ?

What's going on that makes you ask this question ?

IAAL

G

gatorguy

Here is the story in brief. I have to do international travel to Mexico and Canda for my employment. The credit union refuses to issue me a copy of my title for proof of ownership to do so, yet they expect me to make payments to them, even though without employment I can not (thats a given, you would think).
There excuse is that since the vehicle was repossessed in the past (over 2 years ago) they can not issue the title copy.
Bear in mind, my contract that I signed with them states that I assume full ownership rights, and am responsible for maintainence, etc.

TCB4U2B2B

Truth Of The Matter

Hello Gatorguy

Yes. You do have full ownership rights. However, you do not have title rights to the auto. {Property Title Rights} You'll only have property title rights when the contract is paid in full, per the contracts agreement.

Ownership rights means serveral things. Two of them happen to be proper maintenance and security. Taking the vehicle outside the country does not provide proper security. This should be clearly stated on the contract. Same as the auto insurance policy states. Not covered outside the USA.

Personally, I do not believe the credit union is acting outside the contract. They are mearly acting in their own best interests. Which I also am inclined to believe has nothing to do with any prior repossessions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">