• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Peanuts have bugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patio87

So I have this bag of peanuts(the ones in shells) and we ate only a few of them before my buddy noticed something. There were little black bugs inside of the peanuts, burrowing into the peanut eating them. It must be like every 4th peanut has a bug or two, including some that have larvae.

What should I do about this? Is this something I can sue over?? I have the bag of peanuts wrapped up in a ziplock bag, and I have another ziplock bag that has a couple of the peanuts with bugs/larvae.

You Are Guilty

US FDA said:
PEANUTS, UNSHELLED
Multiple defects (MPM-V89)
Average of 10% or more peanuts by count are rejects (insect- infested, moldy, rancid, otherwise decomposed, and dirty)

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect infested - post harvest and/or processing infestation, Mold - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing infection, Rancid & decomposed - post harvest abuse
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic, Potential health hazard - may contain mycotoxin producing fungi
Did you count the exact number of peantes-with-bugs vs. those-without? What % were infested?

racer72

This is just a copy and paste from another post but it seems to fit in this instance too.

The only cause of action you have is replacement of the defective product. You did not win the deep pockets lottery. If it was possible for everyone to claim they suffered mental anguish and physical distress over every food product that does not "look normal", and successfully sue for it, the courts would be packed and the store shelves would be empty. If you want to throw money away, go ahead. You will probably find an attorney that will gladly take your money even if would make him and you look like idiots in the court room.

patio87

Yeah I wouldn't actually sue over this, I was just wondering if this was a serious enough problem to warrant somebody to sue. Should I contact the company, and inform them of this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">